Fox pro

Archie-fox

How long do you stay in one place calling Steve ? I've been moveing on after 20/30 mins and going on to other areas...

Try and stay in the same place as long as you can. Boredom does get to me after 'waiting' for an hour and nothing shows. Awhile back, I set up and waited for over an hour, boredom set in, I got up and moved, then saw a fox (he saw me first) making its way to the call.

Try and stay in the same place as long as you can. Boredom does get to me after 'waiting' for an hour and nothing shows. Awhile back, I set up and waited for over an hour, boredom set in, I got up and moved, then saw a fox (he saw me first) making its way to the call.

ok mate thats good to hear...how often do you pan round with the lamp then i tend to do a 360 degree sweep every 2 mins...is that normal? and with the fox pro being remote do you just let the call run or do it in blasts like on for a few min off for a few mins..?? and do you put the call in a area then get a vantage point to shoot the fox on its way in to the call?

Thanks for all the advice steve.. :good::good:

Edited by archie1234

ok mate thats good to hear...how often do you pan round with the lamp then i tend to do a 360 degree sweep every 2 mins...is that normal? and with the fox pro being remote do you just let the call run or do it in blasts like on for a few min off for a few mins..?? and do you put the call in a area then get a vantage point to shoot the fox on its way in to the call?

So far, I have only used the FoxPro either early morning or evening. As soon as it gets so dark that I can't pick out the base with my scope, I knock it off and revert to calling by hand/mouth and using a lamp.

I usually let the sound 'play' for about ten minutes, then press 'mute' on the remote, then back on again after about a minute. The base is always placed where I have a good advantage point, and always where there is a safe backstop.Don't have the sound on too loud, as this can sometimes spook a fox. Mine is usually set at #3 or#4. In the past, I have set up on top of silage bales, so I have a clear view of the surrounding area, and a downward angle to fire.

the sounds i tend use a fair bit mouse squerker, vole, screaming rabbit, young rabbit,high freq squ mixe them up a bit i only call on about 3 volume unless up on the moors call for 5 mins off for 5mins flick around with lamp every few mins got my lamp on a dimmer so u can pick them up without spooking them when u do pick 1 up in the lamp mute or take volume down to 1. Make them look for it set my fox pro up 100 mts out where 1 think there going to come from (but you can never tell when foxing :hmm: )they can come from any where try to bring them in to you becuse you shold be all set up to shot them i find works best for me ( WE TEND TO HAVE 1 ON THE LAMP AND CALLER AND THE OTHER JUST DOING THE SHOOTING)

Edited by magnum

So far, I have only used the FoxPro either early morning or evening. As soon as it gets so dark that I can't pick out the base with my scope, I knock it off and revert to calling by hand/mouth and using a lamp.

I usually let the sound 'play' for about ten minutes, then press 'mute' on the remote, then back on again after about a minute. The base is always placed where I have a good advantage point, and always where there is a safe backstop.Don't have the sound on too loud, as this can sometimes spook a fox. Mine is usually set at #3 or#4. In the past, I have set up on top of silage bales, so I have a clear view of the surrounding area, and a downward angle to fire.

I should have added that when using my FoxPro, I also use bait (CHUBB dog food or Horse Hoof bait) and place my Rockin' Rabbit decoy out as well. This gives a fox, sight, sound and smell. This usually works well, unless the fox is deaf, blind and has a heavy cold! :)

well i have found the distressed red fox calls the vixens in, fastest was 4 mins from start of call to taking the shot.

then i have been using the lil rabbit on the golf courses and again working well, since i started with the fox pro i have taken 19 charlies, longest session was 2 hours but we got her in the end,

i run it to a small car phone speaker clipped to the roof bars on the truck and ran the caller from inside.

works well so far.

ps: all charlies taken with my 20 tactical.

bob.

Just to add my 2p worth.

Have had my Fox pro (Scorpion) for about 5 years now and shoot on average 70 - 90 foxes between June and October using it in conjunction with night vision attached either to a 20 Tac or 22.250. Getting the hang of how to use it comes with trial and error. I recall the first few times when a fox came into the field, in my excitement instead of pressing the mute button I would press the 'change sound' button or press the up volume instead of the down volume.

My modus operandi which obviously differs from other comments above.

Caller out usually to around 140/150 yds at an angle to my truck (I do not want the fox to come directly towards me - they can pick up movement quite easily) I then put the magpie sound on purely to test all is well with the remote - actually it is also the sound I put on to find the caller when I have finished - unless you put it near a landmark like a telegraph pole/water butt, in an open grassy/stubble field and after 2/3 hours stood around, it can be a ****** to find when you pack up.

I shoot off bags from the truck bonnet and lay also a small towel to rest my contoller on - when I started I was surprised how a fox could hear me putting (and dropped a couple of times)the caller down on the bonnet to get over the shot.

Sounds and time spans

One has to bear in mind the following, a fox has approx 100 times better hearing than we do (in my case probably 300 times!) and perhaps more importantly, it has been proved that the average fox can locate a sound to within 2 metres from as far away as 400 metres (1/4 mile). Armed with this information I have never let the caller play for more than 20 seconds at a time, wait one minute then put the N/V on and watch for two minutes. My max volume is 40 but I always keep it around #10 for these short bursts. Bear in mind you are trying to imitate what actually happens in the wild - a rabbit/rat/vole will hardly ever make a continued noise for more than a minute. As soon as a fox is seen - press the mute button

At this time of the year when I am more interested in adult foxes, I exclusively use the Snowshoe Hare, young cubs seem to have no interest in the sound, but adults (being inquisitive) very much do and the sound of this call travels amazingly - have picked out eyes well over 500 yds bobbing away as they come running in. On freshly mown grass then I use either the Rat in Distress or Vole Squeaks. I must say that I steer away from the usual rabbit noises, this is because I get called out to commercial shoots where they have problems with lamp shy foxes who have got to associate the rabbit squeal with lead flying over their heads.

Just as an aside, I have watched foxes through N/V come up to the caller expecting whatever, smell human, retreat 30 yds and sit down to appraise the situation - bang - feel a little guilty for conning the fox which usually lasts until I cycle the next cartridge! With the rat or vole sounds I very often get a tawny owl or two to the caller - they can be a pain at times firstly their eyes can look like a foxe's eyes and get the adrenolin going and secondly they can start to mob the caller and knock it over so that you lose signal. Also re the magpie sound, I have spent many an hour during daylight with this sound - take electric fence post, secure flock magpie on top, put out 200 yds with caller at the base, stick garden fork in ground approx 10 yds from decoy ensuring both items are at least 60 yds from a hedge (dont want incoming magpie to sit in hedge) Hide somewhere, play magpie sound, shoot magpie off top of garden fork - jobs a goodun.

Would I recommend the Fox-Pro? - put it this way - if mine fell to pieces I would be on the phone right away to get another - so would Shootingcharley off this forum who does more or less what I do and shoots the same numbers as me.

Peter

Just to add my 2p worth.

Have had my Fox pro (Scorpion) for about 5 years now and shoot on average 70 - 90 foxes between June and October using it in conjunction with night vision attached either to a 20 Tac or 22.250. Getting the hang of how to use it comes with trial and error. I recall the first few times when a fox came into the field, in my excitement instead of pressing the mute button I would press the 'change sound' button or press the up volume instead of the down volume.

My modus operandi which obviously differs from other comments above.

Caller out usually to around 140/150 yds at an angle to my truck (I do not want the fox to come directly towards me - they can pick up movement quite easily) I then put the magpie sound on purely to test all is well with the remote - actually it is also the sound I put on to find the caller when I have finished - unless you put it near a landmark like a telegraph pole/water butt, in an open grassy/stubble field and after 2/3 hours stood around, it can be a ****** to find when you pack up.

I shoot off bags from the truck bonnet and lay also a small towel to rest my contoller on - when I started I was surprised how a fox could hear me putting (and dropped a couple of times)the caller down on the bonnet to get over the shot.

Sounds and time spans

One has to bear in mind the following, a fox has approx 100 times better hearing than we do (in my case probably 300 times!) and perhaps more importantly, it has been proved that the average fox can locate a sound to within 2 metres from as far away as 400 metres (1/4 mile). Armed with this information I have never let the caller play for more than 20 seconds at a time, wait one minute then put the N/V on and watch for two minutes. My max volume is 40 but I always keep it around #10 for these short bursts. Bear in mind you are trying to imitate what actually happens in the wild - a rabbit/rat/vole will hardly ever make a continued noise for more than a minute. As soon as a fox is seen - press the mute button

At this time of the year when I am more interested in adult foxes, I exclusively use the Snowshoe Hare, young cubs seem to have no interest in the sound, but adults (being inquisitive) very much do and the sound of this call travels amazingly - have picked out eyes well over 500 yds bobbing away as they come running in. On freshly mown grass then I use either the Rat in Distress or Vole Squeaks. I must say that I steer away from the usual rabbit noises, this is because I get called out to commercial shoots where they have problems with lamp shy foxes who have got to associate the rabbit squeal with lead flying over their heads.

Just as an aside, I have watched foxes through N/V come up to the caller expecting whatever, smell human, retreat 30 yds and sit down to appraise the situation - bang - feel a little guilty for conning the fox which usually lasts until I cycle the next cartridge! With the rat or vole sounds I very often get a tawny owl or two to the caller - they can be a pain at times firstly their eyes can look like a foxe's eyes and get the adrenolin going and secondly they can start to mob the caller and knock it over so that you lose signal. Also re the magpie sound, I have spent many an hour during daylight with this sound - take electric fence post, secure flock magpie on top, put out 200 yds with caller at the base, stick garden fork in ground approx 10 yds from decoy ensuring both items are at least 60 yds from a hedge (dont want incoming magpie to sit in hedge) Hide somewhere, play magpie sound, shoot magpie off top of garden fork - jobs a goodun.

Would I recommend the Fox-Pro? - put it this way - if mine fell to pieces I would be on the phone right away to get another - so would Shootingcharley off this forum who does more or less what I do and shoots the same numbers as me.

Peter

Thanks Peter

More good advice.

Hello

I've got a foxpro from Steve off this forum...(top bloke to deal with) just a quick question what call are you guys useing on the foxpro?? What's working best at this time of year??

Thanks

Rich..

I have found "Baby Bee cottontail" and "Pheasant Distress" work best for me. Also got an additional card off stevie on this forum with fox mating calls which worked well in January.

Regards,

Reggiegun

I'll just add my two penneth about the foxpro spitfire i've tried pretty much every caller on the market and the majority do not match up to the manufacturers recommendations ,i have had cass creek remote models that work from about 10 yards away only(bloody frustrating when you get back in the truck and unit will not work) yes the unit is relatively expensive but it works very very well .It has transformed my shooting in a similar way to when i switched from a lamp to nv ,first time i used it the fox was on it within 5 mins of switching on ,when i say on it i mean sniffing the unit itself mine are town foxes i usually start off with a vixen call for maybe 10 seconds and then switch to a rat squeel works for me everytime