DO I NEED TO CARRY ORIGINAL SGC WHEN SHOOTING?

I don't always carry mine with me as a rule. But I keep all the information my licence, my FAO's name, number and telephone numbers, BASC insurance details all on my phone; That way if I am stopped I have all the information at hand.

Cos

I don't see the point in carrying it with you at all. With the computer records they can look at your details of SGC and FAC, as soon as they pump in your name and address. :yes:

I am pretty sure it also shows up when they check your vehicle reg.

PNC names and vehicle databases are separate. Checking your vehicle won't give any hint that you hold an SGC or FAC.

They also won't necessarily check the vehicle keeper from the vehicle page as that is not necessarily the person in the vehicle.

A police officer can only take your firearms if he believes a crime has or is going to be committed, you have legal right to demand under what circumstances and an explanation of what crimanl activity you have committed to warrant confiscation your guns.

A police officer cannot demand you hand over your guns just because he feels like or wants to prove a point.

Ian.

Yes he can. YOu are right that he can't do it just because he feels like it but if you don't produce your cert then Sec.48(2) gives him that power.

'48 Production of certificates.

(1)A constable may demand, from any person whom he believes to be in possession of a firearm or ammunition to which section 1 of this Act applies, or of a shot gun, the production of his firearm certificate or, as the case may be, his shot gun certificate.

(2)If a person upon whom a demand is made under this section fails to produce the certificate [F2or document] or to permit the constable to read it, or to show that he is entitled by virtue of this Act to have the firearm, ammunition or shot gun in his possession without holding a certificate, the constable may seize and detain the firearm, ammunition or shot gun and may require the person to declare to him immediately his name and address.

You have to remeber that this was enacted in 1968 when there was no such thing as the police computer system. Your FAC/SGC was the only readily available means of proving that you were lawfully in possession of your guns. It may have taken days to veryify that you actually had a cert so police officers needed a way of removing potentially illegal guns from people.

J.

J.

PNC names and vehicle databases are separate. Checking your vehicle won't give any hint that you hold an SGC or FAC.

They also won't necessarily check the vehicle keeper from the vehicle page as that is not necessarily the person in the vehicle.

I know numerous people who have vbeen stopped in their vehicle and the information that they have firearms came up on the check. Your home address will be similarly flagged.

J.

I keep mine in the glovebox. That way it's not that far away. Local RFD never wants cert for cartridges anyway.

I used to do that, until my FEO told me that if criminals get hold of a SGC they can easily replace the photo and then buy guns/ammo using your certificate - that's why they want to know ASAP if a certificate gets lost or stolen.

It might depend on your circumstances - your vehicle might never be in a position where it's likely to be broken into - and I don't know how common it is for stolen certificates to be used in this way, but the thought of criminals buying guns with a stolen certificate made me have a rethink about where to keep mine.

Edited by bedwards1966

Was told by licensing department that if ever i was wanting to be stopped by uniformed officers they would know everything about me before they stopped me from car registration. I asked was a photocopy ok and they said yes, i would hate as mentioned an un-educated officer confiscating a gun from me and "slinging" it in the back of his car and banging it from pillar to post. Don't keep anything important in the car at all.

Once was in a RFD shop buying pellets, the guy in front of me had just bought cartridges and had produced a SGC. Another guy came in wanting cartridges but had no SGC with him so the RFD would not sell him any, so the RFD said to the guy with SGC to buy them for him, then give them to him, which he did, no law was broken and everyone was happy. :hmm:

I used to do that, until my FEO told me that if criminals get hold of a SGC they can easily replace the photo and then buy guns/ammo using your certificate - that's why they want to know ASAP if a certificate gets lost or stolen.

It might depend on your circumstances - your vehicle might never be in a position where it's likely to be broken into - and I don't know how common it is for stolen certificates to be used in this way, but the thought of criminals buying guns with a stolen certificate made me have a rethink about where to keep mine.

These are very good points. Certificates are massive potential security risks. They have your photo, address, date of birth and details of all your guns on them. It's barely believable that, given modern technology, two A4 pieces of paper with loads of personal details on them are the best thing the government can come up with for transactions involving firearms.

J.

if you make photocopy of your certificate you are in breach of copyright !

look at the bottom right hand corner last page. :o

You may be technically in breach of copyright but I don't think it's going to matter. There are only really two remedies that can be appled; the copyright owner can get an order to stop you doing it or they can claim damages from you. You have not cost them anything so they won't get an award of damages. There doesn't seem to be any point to getting an order to stop doing it as they won't benefit from it.

J.