Grouping with a springer, how tight should they be?

WelshLamb

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya lads I haven't used it since I wrote this post :( unfortunately working abroad 6 days a week and usually away from home 2 or 3 weeks at a time means not much time for plinking in the back garden!

I have a week off booked soon (dreading it ! :lol: ) so will have another go at it then :good:

Hiya lads I haven't used it since I wrote this post :( unfortunately working abroad 6 days a week and usually away from home 2 or 3 weeks at a time means not much time for plinking in the back garden!

I have a week off booked soon (dreading it ! :lol: ) so will have another go at it then :good:

Thanks for the update, Don't work too hard. Good luck

When I used to do a lot of Air rifle Competition shooting both indoors and field trials I always used Ely Wasps in my FWB target rifle. I still use them today

I used to be able to shoot ½ -1 ins. groups at 30 yards with careful pellet selection. This is more than adequate for hunting live quarry at this sort of range. The barrel was pulled through with a Knotted piece of common or garden paper string every 10 shots ( some used to do this after 5 or less)

However I spent some considerable time sorting the pellets prior to a competition, because in a tin of 500 there might be 50% which are absolutely of similar weight and quality. Many had damaged or marked skirts, some dented or bent some very slightly different weight all of which will make a very slight difference in use.

Over longer distances this was exacerbated.

One chap in our club who went on to represent England at the world indoor air rifle Championships used to take it to the extreme. He reckoned there were probably 50 good pellets in a tin of 500 which he used to weigh, sort and polish the head and skirts before use. I think he may have had COD.

And by the way…..worst thing you can do is shake the tin .

Edited by Fisherman Mike