Grouping with a springer, how tight should they be?

WelshLamb

Have put about 100 pellets through my new Hammerli springer, but the groups can still vary by up to 3". Should they get tighter as the barrel wears in? Ive zeroed it as best as I can about 20 yards for now, but I suppose unless the groups get closer together its all a bit pointless :hmm:

Havent shot at anything alive with it yet, only targets :good:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if the gun is new to you welsh lamb it might be worth trying a few different brands of pellets if possible. i don't mean buying loads of different brands but if you have friends with air rifles pinch some of theres and do some research there will no doubt be a pellet that suits your gun :good:

i believe it can take up to tin of pellets to lead the barrel in. but imho you might want to try some different pellets

at 20 yards 3" grouping not too good. what pellets are you using?

my tx200 was pellet on pellet at 35yards after i'd zeroed it, with odd flyers.

If the springer is in any way half decent, and the person behind it can shoot, there's no reason as to why the groups can't be on par with those of a PCP. 3" groups are quite big for such a short range. Pellet choice plays a major part in airgun accuracy. My 97k will group 2" at 25 yards using AA Field, but will group 1/2" at the same distance using AA Hunter pellets.

i believe it can take up to tin of pellets to lead the barrel in. but imho you might want to try some different pellets

at 20 yards 3" grouping not too good. what pellets are you using?

my tx200 was pellet on pellet at 35yards after i'd zeroed it, with odd flyers.

What pellets were they if you don't mind me asking?

Have put about 100 pellets through my new Hammerli springer, but the groups can still vary by up to 3". Should they get tighter as the barrel wears in? Ive zeroed it as best as I can about 20 yards for now, but I suppose unless the groups get closer together its all a bit pointless :hmm:

Havent shot at anything alive with it yet, only targets :good:

How experienced are you, can you get tight groups out of another gun for instance? You can put 50000 pellets through some guns and still only get poor groups because the old adage it's the injun and not the arrow is NOT true. Some guns are better straight from the box even without tuning and will produce awesome groups and some won't. Obviously pellets come into it as do things like scope compatibility and mounts being tight etc but when all is said and done every gun has an innate potential. Some guns are way better than most shooters, some have their limits reached without too much effort.

How experienced are you, can you get tight groups out of another gun for instance?

Experience? Absolutely none whatsoever! :lol::blush: Bought this air rifle a few weeks ago brand new from the shop with a scope on it. Have never shot any sort of rifle before that!

Try RWS superdome or superfield. Crosman Premier magnums. :good:

If it still won`t group there could be something wrong with the gun. :hmm:

Hold the gun up to a strong light and look at the Rifles Barrel bore i had one that would not group and it was the bore of the Barrel it was as rough has a Bears ***. It looked like it had been Rifle cut with a jack hammer. :lol:

Also check that the scope mounts are good and tight and the scope clamp rings are tight. :good:

It takes 20 to 30 Pellets to lead a Barrel after that you should be getting sub 1/2 groups at 20yds. :unsure:

Is the Rifle a new one and is it smoking when you shoot it. Dieseling. :hmm:

You get oil being burned off some times with a new gun this will stop after a few hundred pellets through it. :thumbs:

PS Hows the Land Rover doing Finished it yet. ???

Happy :shoot::shoot::shoot:

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

come on guys stick some pellets in an envelope an send them to wales. if she try 10 types of pellets and they all shoot the same then fair enough. something amiss with the gun or shooter :P i doubt it though the right pellet will fly straight in my eperience 15 years with air guns. :ermm:

If it's a Hammerli 550, the recomended pellets are RWS Superdomes or Crossman Accupels. The RWS are heavier so I would try them first. They are a good hunting pellet for when you feel confident with your gun.

Have you checked your scope mounts? Pretend they are a gasket - everything gently tightened nice and evenly.

There is a vid on youtube showing how to use an artilery grip to get the best from springers too.

Good luck! :good:

There is a vid on youtube showing how to use an artilery grip to get the best from springers :good:

Plus 1 on the Artilery grip. :good:

Don`t grip a springer like your ringing its neck you have to let the gun recoil. :no:

Thats some artticulation on the landy dose it go well.

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

I've heard a good description of how to hold a springer. It went something like this:

"Hold it as you would a small bird; firmly enough to stop it escaping, but gently enough not to harm it."

Also, don't rest the gun on a something hard.

Regards,

Mark.

I've heard a good description of how to hold a springer. It went something like this:

"Hold it as you would a small bird; firmly enough to stop it escaping, but gently enough not to harm it."

Also, don't rest the gun on something hard.

Regards,

Mark.

That's probably the root cause of most springer troubles.

if the gun is new to you welsh lamb it might be worth trying a few different brands of pellets if possible. i don't mean buying loads of different brands but if you have friends with air rifles pinch some of theres and do some research there will no doubt be a pellet that suits your gun :good:

As ive said on previous posts try different pellets. If you google pellet perfect thats a good starting point. You buy little selection packs and try lots of pellets.