Grouping with a springer, how tight should they be?

WelshLamb

No good sending a shed load of different pellets. That will only confuse the issue initially.

The probable reason has already been suggested. With springers the hold is all important. If the but of the rifle is not consistently snug in the pocket of your shoulder the but could move and send the pellet off course. Also, if the grip on the front is too tight the same can happen with the other end of the rifle. The front hand should support, not grip the rifle.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

welshlamb,

If you are totally brand new to rifle shooting of any form as you say a trip to your local club would pay huge dividends. Rifle hold, trigger pull, breath control all play a part - At this stage make sure the injun is true then search for pellets. Best of luck.

i'd say if your not used to air rifle/rifle shooting,let someone you know have a good few shots with it to make sure its not just user error and not a gun/scope problem.if they get on alright with get a pop tin put out at about 25yds and just keep shooting it until you've ripped it to bits,then get something smaller like an apple and do the same,then a matchbox.after all that shooting you'll be used to the gun,then it'll be time to try and get your groups tightened up on paper.

Try loosening up! Don't dismiss trying another pell type for sure but it is common for folk to try and keep the sight "locked" on the target. That then caauses the shooter to snatch the trigger.

Let the sight hover around on the target and eventually it should settle and thats when you squeeze the trigger. If it don't lower the gun and try again.

What ever you do don't try and beat the sights as in pulling the trigger anxious to get the shot gone before the sights wonder off.

Just as in wingshooting there is a precise moment the trigger is pulled so to with rifle shooting it's down to timing the release at just the right moment.

Good luck.

Underdog.

Stick at it. Its only practise the better you shoot a springer Air Rifle the better shot you will be if you go down the rim fire or center fire route. :good:

If you have plenty of small vermin to shoot perhaps you would be better going for a PCP Air Rifle. :good:

No recoil and deadly accurate and a lot easier to shoot than a cheap springer. :good:

I still have three springers that get used when i am shooting or hunting for fun. :good:

I have seven PCPs one with night vision on it semi-permanent. :yes:

They all get used when i am shooting for vermin control PCPs are by far more accurate and with 10 shot mags and a good Silencer are virtually Silent so you get far better results to show the Farmer :big_boss: and keep the shoot. :yahoo:

Have you checked your scope and the mounts for being lose. ???

And have you checked the Barrel bore. ???

What pellets have you put through it you will find cheap pellets give poor results. ???

One other thing it could be is that a 12 ftlb Air Rifle the pellet is slow getting out of the Barrel unlike a shotgun or Rim-fire its the most common thing that a shooter pulls the trigger and moves to soon try keeping your eye on the target through the scope till the pellet strikes the target. :good:

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

The scope mounts and rings are all tight cos ive tightened them :good: . Ive been using H&N Sport "Spitzkugel" Pellets in it because thats what they gave me in the shop :good:

As for PCP, theres is no way in hell I'm gonna go and spend £400 on an air rifle when I could buy a half tidy shotgun with that amount of money :lol: .

I only bought this for occasionally bashing squirrels and magpies with in my garden :good: , I have no desire to go and lay down on wet grass and wait for hours for rabbits etc to appear! :good::lol: :lol:

My first springer was a .22 Stingray, back in 2005 (still got it but needs a new barrel since someone flipped it!). Before it got the pretzel treatment, I was putting pellets through the same hole at 10m inside a week of getting it. Within six weeks I was putting 1/4" groups and capping 410 cartridges at 50m, and cracking lids off coke bottles at 100m. All with Bulldog lead.

My current springer is an Air Arms Mistrale in .22 with an AGS 6x40 compact mildot. I use RWS Super H Point exclusively through that, and am putting pellet on pellet at 50m. When my AGS PCR1 isn't tanked I use that for hunting.

Interesting thread I have been working on my springer for a few months now and I'd say I've got down to 1.5" groups at 25 meters. Not great but way better than I started. Things that helped were new barrel lock spring.... Clean the barrell... New washers seal set... New piston spring set.... Jsb diablo exact 5.51 pellets. About 2000 rounds fired...., still dreaming of pellet on pellet at 25 meters

I have several different types and would be pleased to send some samples. Just send a PM with your addy. You may find Accupel work. I can put pellets through a 15mm hole in my reset target at 25yds, nearly every time with the HW97k. I assume it is the .22. :good:

try differant pellets, check the bore is good( no reason why it shouldnt be) and google and practice the artillary hold. good luck.

I use an old BSA mercury as my springer, it seems to have a but of a hole in the barrel that shaves lead but it doeant seem to effrect accuracy, with pellets it likes im sub 2p 5 shot groups at 20 meters bench rested standing a little more spread out,

Edited by demonwolf444

Arghh! Think I might just sell the damn thing and stick to shotguns :lol: easier :lol:

Theres a point there, i know i will never make the best shotgunner because i have spent too much time with rifles. The two are different rifle shooting is about control shotgunning about faith if you dont get what i am saying then remember this the pellet will impact the point your gun was aimed when it left the barrel, tiny differences at the shooter end are a lot on the target. If this is the result of poor hold, poor pellets or just the aim point being wrong at the time the pellet left the muzzle has yet to be descered.

shoot some other rifles and see how you do, shoot different pellets see how you do, give the gun to a good airgun guy to try. Eliminate the possibles.

Nice Landy BTW :good:

Interesting thread I have been working on my springer for a few months now and I'd say I've got down to 1.5" groups at 25 meters. Not great but way better than I started. Things that helped were new barrel lock spring.... Clean the barrell... New washers seal set... New piston spring set.... Jsb diablo exact 5.51 pellets. About 2000 rounds fired...., still dreaming of pellet on pellet at 25 meters

Its all down to getting out there are using the thing. And keep on and on with it.

With my springer im getting 2" groups at about 30 yards,

Iv just picked up a second hand AA s200 PCP, I zeroed it in yesterday and within a no time at all i was putting pellet on pellet, :good: I can at the moment only dream of doing that with my xocet.

Still just because iv now got a PCP dose not mean that Im no longer going to use the springer. My aim for that at the moment is to get my groupings down to 1"

Welsh lamb,

If you can try to shoot 25 pellets off a day. Over one month you will notice a difference in how good your shooting and your aim has become.

Dont give up keep on and on, You will get there.

i have spent too much time with rifles. The two are different rifle shooting is about control shotgunning about faith

I'm in the same boat, I wish I was better with a shotgun :( However, I prefer the explanation: "rifle shooting is a science, shotgun shooting is an art".

I'm in the same boat, I wish I was better with a shotgun :( However, I prefer the explanation: "rifle shooting is a science, shotgun shooting is an art".

Trouble is,.......I'm neither a Scientist nor an Artist,

oh hell thats me stuffed then :P:w00t:

Edited by TaxiDriver

Its all down to getting out there are using the thing. And keep on and on with it.

With my springer im getting 2" groups at about 30 yards,

Iv just picked up a second hand AA s200 PCP, I zeroed it in yesterday and within a no time at all i was putting pellet on pellet, :good: I can at the moment only dream of doing that with my xocet.

Still just because iv now got a PCP dose not mean that Im no longer going to use the springer. My aim for that at the moment is to get my groupings down to 1"

Welsh lamb,

If you can try to shoot 25 pellets off a day. Over one month you will notice a difference in how good your shooting and your aim has become.

Dont give up keep on and on, You will get there.

I agree. Once you have checked the weapon and know it is right, it is accuracy that kills and accuracy comes from practice, practice and more practice. :good:

Guest cookoff013

i`m a bit late on this topic.

the gun should be evaluated to ensure any pellets have the best start and minimal variables. thats making sure the scope / mounts /sight are ok.

after that its the pellets influence thats going to be clear. the grouping(s) are going to be clear, or close enough.

pellet type is so important. changing pellets can and will increase accuracy. as often, the usual suspects will turn up.

now i had a friend who bought a hw100, wouldnt group. all over the shop. friend chopped it in got another, wouldnt group. all "pcp" are ****. tried my then pcp. wouldnt group. it caused me concern, as my mfr was a tack driver.

went to his house to do some diagnostic and get it shooting as good as.

first concern was "one" pellet type was used. "marksman" pellets, i dont even think there were 2 pellets the same in that pot. there was a mixure of other pellets in their too. so after returning a pcp, the problem was just not trying different pellets or just assuming they all do the same.

just using a few pellets i had (lazapell) brought the grouping from "shotgun" to putting 50p groups.

he still went on to use those pellets.

to ^ above i use markman pellets in .177 and find them pretty good for the money, i would prefere bisley mags or something heavier and better quality but they seem to group fine in mine to hunt with, but my local shop doesnt really stock any decent .177 pellets except for some wadcutters which my gun wont group with ( really annoying ) but has a great .22 range and i always get discounts so i really cant say no! although sometimes i order some online but the **** postie puts them through the letter box and dents a few in the process -.- not his fault.

• 2 weeks later...