Tuning????

Steve72

I have a hw97k I think it's about 8-10 years old according to serial number and standard as far as I know. I'm new to airguning ( 3 months ), achieving 5p size groups at 25 yards and really enjoying how quickly I am coming on with the springer.

My question is although it may be nice. At the level I am at is it necessary for me to tune the gun? Will I notice the difference as a novice ? Will I benefit from smoother recoil. Or would it be like giving a novice golfer top clubs ie a waste of time and money.

Should I perfect my technique first, to appreciate the improvements?

I have a hw97k I think it's about 8-10 years old according to serial number and standard as far as I know. I'm new to airguning ( 3 months ), achieving 5p size groups at 25 yards and really enjoying how quickly I am coming on with the springer.

My question is although it may be nice. At the level I am at is it necessary for me to tune the gun? Will I notice the difference as a novice ? Will I benefit from smoother recoil. Or would it be like giving a novice golfer top clubs ie a waste of time and money.

Should I perfect my technique first, to appreciate the improvements?

If you had it tuned it would be more accurate and smother to shoot and to cock the rifle. :no:

But you would be far better off having a gas ram fitted that would make the gun a lot smoother and with very little recoil. :good:

I am more than happy with the hw 97 . Very heavy though but am getting to like that about it.Was just curious as to whether people thought a novice would benefit from a tuned gun, and what I could achieve, replace and how much.

Would I not just swap it for a hw 90 if I wanted to use gas ram or would I not get the same performance as I could get from a rammed 97?

I am more than happy with the hw 97 . Very heavy though but am getting to like that about it.Was just curious as to whether people thought a novice would benefit from a tuned gun, and what I could achieve, replace and how much.

Would I not just swap it for a hw 90 if I wanted to use gas ram or would I not get the same performance as I could get from a rammed 97?

The HW97 is a lot lighter than an HW77 and is a lot better gun than an HW 90 because your HW97 is a fixed Barrel gun making it more accurate. :yes:

Putting a gas ram in it is a big improvement to a very good gun by making it smoother to shoot and cock and a lot less recoil than a twangy spring and giving you more consistent full power shots. :good:

An HW97 that has been gas rammed and a mild tuning will shoot almost as good has a PCP its all down to what you are going to use it for FT. HFT. Hunting. and how much you want to spend on it.

A full tuning is around £70 and a gas ram fitted is around £80. So what do you do spend money on it or buy a PCP and a air bottle ???

I do a lot of vermin control and i have .177 .22 .25cal. I have 10 Rifles 3 springers and 7 PCPs the springers are for shooting when its for fun and results don`t matter. If its a job then its the PCPs for a lot more kills and better results. :good:

If you are getting 5p groups at 25 yards and the power is high enough to kill (ie over 10 foot pounds), why fix what ain't broke?

This is what I was thinking is it a nice to have or need to have. When I bought it is was chrono'd by the shop at 11.6fp. . Perhaps I'll leave it and tune it further down the line. I intend to use it for pigeons and rabbits . Will practice for a few more weeks before I start going for live quarry.

The HW97 is a lot lighter than an HW77 and is a lot better gun than an HW 90 because your HW97 is a fixed Barrel gun making it more accurate. :yes:

Putting a gas ram in it is a big improvement to a very good gun by making it smoother to shoot and cock and a lot less recoil than a twangy spring and giving you more consistent full power shots. :good:

An HW97 that has been gas rammed and a mild tuning will shoot almost as good has a PCP its all down to what you are going to use it for FT. HFT. Hunting. and how much you want to spend on it.

A full tuning is around £70 and a gas ram fitted is around £80. So what do you do spend money on it or buy a PCP and a air bottle ???

I do a lot of vermin control and i have .177 .22 .25cal. I have 10 Rifles 3 springers and 7 PCPs the springers are for shooting when its for fun and results don`t matter. If its a job then its the PCPs for a lot more kills and better results. :good:

Night searcher

I see numerous threads where you say " stick a gas ram in it " though you may be a fan , they are not the be all and end all of airgun shooting , as many people ,including myself think they are a poor second to a well tuned spring gun , they have a reputation for ruining scopes , and most of the gas ram guns are even more hold sensitive than a springer.

You tell the OP that a HW97 is a lot lighter than a HW77 when in fact they weigh the same at 4kg for the carbine (k) thats because they are the same gun ! the only difference is the 77 comes with open sights and a lower comb on the stock and the 97 has a higher comb for the use of telescopic sights. other than that the actions are identical.

Edited by fenboy

This is what I was thinking is it a nice to have or need to have. When I bought it is was chrono'd by the shop at 11.6fp. . Perhaps I'll leave it and tune it further down the line. I intend to use it for pigeons and rabbits . Will practice for a few more weeks before I start going for live quarry.

I have recently had my 97 tuned and it feels like a different rifle , smooother to cock and fire ,with a quicker lock time and a better trigger.

It has not made the rifle anymore accurate though , but being smoother firing with less recoil it will allow ME to become more accurate with the rifle.

Do you need a tuned springer definitely not , are they a nicer gun to shoot certainly yes.

Thanks all for your input. At the moment I am still perfecting my own technique with the rifle, and I think I can still Improve a lot with the set up as it is. I have decided that I will tune it ,but down the line when I feel I am a bit more tuned to the rifle myself. That way I think I would appreciate the subtle improvements more. Cheers all.

Night searcher

I see numerous threads where you say " stick a gas ram in it " though you may be a fan , they are not the be all and end all of airgun shooting , as many people ,including myself think they are a poor second to a well tuned spring gun , they have a reputation for ruining scopes , and most of the gas ram guns are even more hold sensitive than a springer.

You tell the OP that a HW97 is a lot lighter than a HW77 when in fact they weigh the same at 4kg for the carbine (k) thats because they are the same gun ! the only difference is the 77 comes with open sights and a lower comb on the stock and the 97 has a higher comb for the use of telescopic sights. other than that the actions are identical.

I still have 3 springers and 7 PCPs and every springer i have put a gas ram in it has been transformed form a heavy recoiling twangy springer in to a very smooth and very accurate gun.

How can you say gas rams have a reputation for damaging scopes when a gas ram has a lot less recoil than a spring. Spring guns wreck scopes NOT GAS RAMS.

If you bothered to read it fully you will see that i said a mild tune or a full tune would be a big benefit and a gas ram would make the gun shoot almost has good as a PCP.

You will also see that i said the HWW97 is a very good Rifle as standard.

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

You have a brilliant gun. If you get it V-Mach tuned it will always shoot better than you. I have a Pope tuned 97K, it will put pellet on pellet at 35 yards. The replacement trigger units are superb too!

Use mine for HFT and hunting.

The 97 is good as standard. Even better if tuned, but unless you're a dab hand with the screwdrivers already, save yourself the bother and send it to one of the guys who know them inside out, such as messrs Pope, Hall or SFS as mentioned.

I've had Venom (now Vmach) and SFS-tuned guns, and started my shooting with a Venom'ed HW80, which spoiled me & made any standard gun feel like a clunker afterwards.

All of the above do a cracking job and you wouldn't regret having it fettled, novice or not.