how to decoy standing wheat

Matt Gould

hello i have found a fair few pigeon feeding on standing wheat on my permission i was just wondering what decoys to use and how to set them up ? i was thiking put a magnet out and a flapper set up just above the crop. with maybe a few shells laying on top of the crop

thanks for any help matt

If there are wind flattened areas near cover, thats where you place your decoys, but be careful, farmers don't usually like you even walking on the blown areas.

If its still standing, I put full bodied decoys on bamboo canes and put them in the crop, with the decoy showing (you can walk up the tractor tracks to do this).

I also put out floater/bouncers as well.

Picking up dead birds is also a nightmare, unless you have a dog.

Wandering around in the crop can cause a lot more damage than the pigeons.

I would say if the crop is standing then leave it alone or you could be looking for a new permission !.

If it has some large flattened areas big enough to drop birds in then that is different and this is when a rotary can really really come into its own ,you do need to be very disciplined in which birds you shoot and which you leave though.

hello i have found a fair few pigeon feeding on standing wheat on my permission i was just wondering what decoys to use and how to set them up ? i was thiking put a magnet out and a flapper set up just above the crop. with maybe a few shells laying on top of the crop

thanks for any help matt

I have the same conundrum.

The pigeons really want the standing wheat and are landing on the edges of the tramlines. The standing crop is immaculate with hardly a plant out of place. If I enter the crop I will do considerable damage, perhaps more than the pigeons will do.

This is really a case of defining the boundaries with the farmer.