Attaching handle to stick

henry d

1 - Drill a suitable size hole in the handle as centrally as possible,I use 11mm because it`s in my toolbox and seems to be about right for 90% of the time.Depth depends on what the handle is made of etc.

Be careful with some antler as the pith may be too soft to take the handle and you may have to use a large sized drill bit.

2 - Measure down the stick shank the same as the depth of hole and,using insulating tape,wrap around the shank in as straight line as possible.Then mark with a stanley knife or similar.

3 - Slice off the bark a strip at a time working steadily around the stick and keep on going until you get a fat spigot shape on the end,then look down the end of it and you will see if the spigot is central and cut as necessary to keep it central.

4 - Once you are nearing the same size as the hole in the handle,cut 3-4 mm off the tip and slightly chamfer the edge to ease access to the hole,then carefully keep slicing,extremely carefully,until the two are starting to fit.I then cut into the spigot at the shoulder so that the 2 pieces will sit flush and provide extra space for the glue.

5 - Once the handle and shank are mated firmly look at the mating joint and rotate the handle on the spigot,as there will be a position where it fits better.If there is a slight gap don`t worry,get a washer of a suitable size and slide it onto the spigot then the handle.The handle should have the flattest face and you should keep pressure on the washer on this face.Then using a junior hacksaw or similar placed flush against it cut into the stick and if you keep the pressure just right then the washer will guide the blade to follow a parallel path to the face of the handle.

6 - Cut a few light grooves into the spigot,to take the glue and then file the handle to correct size and shape as the shank.If using antler I like to cover the tines with end caps made from any hard wood I have lying about.

The stick on the right was made 14-15 years ago and is still functioning in the beating line and various walking holidays around the UK.

I think you can buy double ended screws specifically for thi purpose with reverse threads on one end.. It takes the guess work out as you only have to cut the antler and stick square for it to match.

Not having a go M8 but the hole has to be square with both handle and shank,then if the pith is a bit fragile the hard metal will strip it out but a flexible piece of wood inserted into it will be OK.

If you have the kit to cut and drill 2 pieces of a walking stick perfectly square rather than drill one and fit the male to it then I say do it :friends: I don`t have that facility.

I think you can buy double ended screws specifically for thi purpose with reverse threads on one end.. It takes the guess work out as you only have to cut the antler and stick square for it to match.

Not having a go M8 but the hole has to be square with both handle and shank,then if the pith is a bit fragile the hard metal will strip it out but a flexible piece of wood inserted into it will be OK.

If you have the kit to cut and drill 2 pieces of a walking stick perfectly square rather than drill one and fit the male to it then I say do it :) I don`t have that facility.

Fair point i suppose. What glue do you use?

Guest jonrms

hmmm since i dont shoot deer.. it would be nice if someone can give me a good quote on a prebuit/made shooting stick for me....

I would love it.... not to mention having antlers as a rest....

oh yeah it would save me bringing a cane (which I hate taking) on the field when i shoot....