Scope

Vulcha

Well guys, I want a new scope for my hornet. At the moment I have a Hawke Nite Eye 3-10X44 30/30 IR. I'm gonna spend about £100 on my next scope but don't really know what to go for. I've found the illiminated reticule very useful but would like a scope with a mildot reticule aswell. So, basically, no smaller than 44mm lens and IR with a mildot. What are my options guys?

I'm gonna spend about £100 on my next scope but don't really know what to go for. I've found the illiminated reticule very useful but would like a scope with a mildot reticule aswell. So, basically, no smaller than 44mm lens and IR with a mildot. What are my options guys?

What do you shoot?,why do you need an IR?,why would a mil dot be good for your type of shooting?.

Well Mr.Henry, I shoot rabbits, squirrels, pigeons and basically all the airgun control stuff. I think the IR is good for when I'm in the woods, because everything is pretty dark and the IR helps me to actually see my cross hair. I think mil dot would be good so my hold over/ under would actually be effective then, because anything out of zerod range is usual missed :angry:

wide angle obviously gives you wider field of view

parallax is when the shooter moves his head a distortion of the image can occur. This happens when the image is not focused exactly on the reticle plane. Scopes with a parallax adjustment (PA or PX) are able to eradicate the problem. (this adjustment is usually in the form of adjustable objective (AO) where it can be used to rangefind approx.) This is done by rotating the objective ring until the target is in its clearest focus, then reading off the distance from the adjustable objective ring.

4-12X40IR%20Adjustable%20Objective.gif

Hope this is clear,

SS

personaly unless your shooting .22 you wont need mil dot, you shouldnt really need IR if the scope is set up right, and zoom mag is useful but not esential, most of my shooting is done at 4-6xmag at most.

get somehting basic but with good quality glass, no bells no whistles just the basics.

My personal choice is a bushnell trophy 3-9x40 WA scope with 30/30 reticle normaly windage is at most the tip of the horizontal posts and hold over can be within the two points of the verticles.

A basic rule of thumb when buyng your glass is allow 1/3 of the price of your rifle for glass.

ROB :P

ps dont scrimp and get cheap

• 2 weeks later...
personaly unless your shooting .22 you wont need mil dot, you shouldnt really need IR if the scope is set up right, and zoom mag is useful but not esential, most of my shooting is done at 4-6xmag at most.

Sorry Rob, I don't agree. I've recently changed from 30/30 to mil dot and find the guess work from hold under/over has all but gone. I shoot .177 @ 12ft/lb by the way. You can fraction the gap between the dots to give the right hold for a know distance much easier than with 30/30.

If 30/30 was so good why do most, if not all of the countries top FT/HFT shooters use mil dot with .177, and all the also rans, me included.

There is some good stuff out there just now with paying the earth for it.

Have a look at the JSR range of scopes, click on the link. Scroll down to JSR bargain optics.

http://www.jsramsbottom.com/

I've got the 6-24x50 with IR and PX adjustment. In hindsite x24 is too much. looking back x12 would be enough for a 12 ft/lb airgun.

Hop this helps,

regards,

Ian.

Sorry Rob, I don't agree. I've recently changed from 30/30 to mil dot and find the guess work from hold under/over has all but gone. I shoot .177 @ 12ft/lb by the way. You can fraction the gap between the dots to give the right hold for a know distance much easier than with 30/30.

If 30/30 was so good why do most, if not all of the countries top FT/HFT shooters use mil dot with .177, and all the also rans, me included.

I've got the 6-24x50 with IR and PX adjustment. In hindsite x24 is too much. looking back x12 would be enough for a 12 ft/lb airgun.

If i had to guess i would have said you used your scope around 15xmag, this would mean tht there is a noticable drop between the mildots so they can be used effectivly. The lower the mag the smaller the distance between the mildots

And let me guess the scope you used with a 30/30 ret was a hawke scope that had a very large distance between the two thick posts, have a look through a smaller 30/30 ret, there is a huge difference.

The hardest thing about using any scope is being able to work out the range your target is at, this requires a high magnificaion scope and a lot of practise time so you can put your own settings on the scope.

As for why people use the mildot scopes, it take s a lot of practise to be able to use a mildot scope properly, some people are able to get on with them, some people try to keep up with the jones. But most buy them becasue everyone else is useing them so they must be the best gear.

HFT was invented by hunters for hunters, but it seems that HFT is creating euqipment to fill a hole thta was never even known about, one of the top HFT shooters used a theoben rapid for many years no complaints about it and it was his favorite hunting tool, he hit the fields, it was a rapid that went with him, now for soem reason he shoots with a daystate MK3 and i have to say is very quiet about it. Maybe this is becasue its a sponsored rifle, maybe its becasue he is too busy with HFT to make comments about things in public on the forums.

Just finish by saying i have a 30/30 reticle fitted to my springer rifle, and i can normaly stay up with the big boys in the club competition, they use daystate MK3's, MFRs, AAs410 basicaly all the top PCP rifles, yet i can stay within a point or two of theri rifles with thier expensive scopes, so i really am comenting from experiance.

ROB :good: