Muntjac shoot on sight say SNH

shame we dont have any round where i am wood love to have a go at them ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

....offers ?

Edited by swiss.tony

shame we dont have any round where i am wood love to have a go at them ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

....offers ?

Allegedly, Tony, there have been sightings in N. Lincs and East Yorkshire and up as far as York but I can't remember where I read it. I've certainly never seen any.

In fact, quick trawl later:

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/18205-Muntjac-how-far-have-they-spread-into-yorkshire

Edited by DaveK

What a load of old cobblers, they do that much damage and would bring in plenty of money from foreign hunters.

The notion you can't shoot them out as they breed to quickly is also BS, at the request of the landowner I have completely removed them, bar maybe one or two, from my permission.

Loads in lincoln shot 3 in one sitting and saw at least 13 more on the feeders they do taste good but I always struggle skining them

Pack them some snap and a flask and send them North. Remember they'll need their passport though.

Here in Ireland there have been a few reported sightings and one shot and pictures taken as proof.. On the Irish NPWS deer licence it has muntjac to be shot on sight all year around.

They are a deer species though so the deer licence is needed even though they are vermin and the minimum caliber is a .22 bullet over 60gr with muzzle energy over 1700foot pounds. so its a .22-250 or a .243 up..

I presume they want them shot on sight for the same reason they do here..so they wont interfere with native deer species.

Here in Ireland there have been a few reported sightings and one shot and pictures taken as proof.. On the Irish NPWS deer licence it has muntjac to be shot on sight all year around.

They are a deer species though so the deer licence is needed even though they are vermin and the minimum caliber is a .22 bullet over 60gr with muzzle energy over 1700foot pounds. so its a .22-250 or a .243 up..

I presume they want them shot on sight for the same reason they do here..so they wont interfere with native deer species.

Think you will find that it is 'over 50 gr' and 1000 fp ... well that is the status quo for England

I think the concensus of opinion re shot on sight is more to protect flora than fauna

Edited by dicehorn

'They' whoever they are say Muntjac drive Roe out, I can only report what I have seen having spent a lot time watching them and that is they live shoulder to shoulder quite happily.

IMO tree wise at least, Roe are far more destructive.

This is something I have started to get involved in recently and my understanding is that Muntjac deer aren't native species yet are thriving and becoming a huge pest due to the amount of damage the cause. Similarly, they are involved in a massive amount of RTCs every year. This is a major factor of the Shoot On Site. The population in Britain accounts for 10% of the world population.

You may be correct as I am not 100% sure. I was told that the issue is that in England they are thriving and thus developing in large numbers with each Doe giving usually 3 young. They can cause significant damage and are involved in a lot of RTCs which I guess is a major concern. I shall ask a few people I know if they have any more info on this subject!!

Hi Sam glad to hear it. I was a bit dozzy not picking up on the 223 for roe dooo as for mountys I would think your ok with vermin and roe in an open ticket cheers

Deer are NEVER classed as vermin - not even a muntjac which is covered by the Deer Act