Mixing sexes in same kennel?

ando

Hey up

As some of you may know I've just breed my ess bitch for the first time, I always thought I wanted to keep bitches, but one of the dogs in the litter has caught my eye as has one of the bitches and I starting to get tempted to keep him instead, but with only having one kennel will they be ok together? Now I know obviously about when she comes in to season, but I don't think I will breed her again or (if I do keep a dog and not a bitch) use him as a stud dog so get them both spade and neutered.

So do any of you guys keep mixed sexes in the same kennel?

Cheers

Ando

I don't see a problem if they are spade and neutered they should get on fine. If she is spade and not he not neutered you might find him trying to take advantage of her as he pleases. If you are not keeping him for stud get him chopped :bye2: You will find one dog will be boss, but that is just pecking order.

With the exception of bitches in season (when they obviously have to be separated) they should be fine. Mixed sexes tend to kennel better together than dogs of the same sex.

And no neutering is required provided any undesirable behaviour is managed by you.

With the exception of bitches in season (when they obviously have to be separated) they should be fine. Mixed sexes tend to kennel better together than dogs of the same sex.

And no neutering is required provided any undesirable behaviour is managed by you.

Totally agree, I keep a mixed kennel (and I have a few kennels!) - dogs and bitches settle well together and the dog is a also a good indicator as to when the bitch is close to her season - so they can be separated. I've never had an unplanned litter as a result either.

Mike

Do any of those who keep mixed kennels get issues with the Dog becoming stressed out? i have only ever kept an un-castrated male and a bitch once and it made him quite ill being unable to get to her. Is this normal?

Was this only when the bitch was in season?

Was this only when the bitch was in season?

Yeah, it was too much stress for him- had him castrated, he still tried but no harm no foul so he could stay with her. She got a little peeved he couldn't sort her, though he didn't let another dog near her when she was in season so had a nice knock on effect.

I fancy another bitch in a year or so, if my current dog lab pup proves itself as fully as i expect and has clear health checks- just to supply my own needs in the future

Do any of those who keep mixed kennels get issues with the Dog becoming stressed out? i have only ever kept an un-castrated male and a bitch once and it made him quite ill being unable to get to her. Is this normal?

Kent,

I have no issues - maybe a little increase in excitement as the bitch comes towards her season. My own block in the kennels houses my stud dogs and all my bitches - there are no issues, certainly not as you describe. Even with the younger un-used dogs. I currently have 9 dogs and 9 bitches of various breeds kennelled in 10 kennels, mainly 1 of each in a kennel. I house my stud dogs with bitches, with no issue either.

Mike

Kent,

I have no issues - maybe a little increase in excitement as the bitch comes towards her season. My own block in the kennels houses my stud dogs and all my bitches - there are no issues, certainly not as you describe. Even with the younger un-used dogs. I currently have 9 dogs and 9 bitches of various breeds kennelled in 10 kennels, mainly 1 of each in a kennel. I house my stud dogs with bitches, with no issue either.

Mike

Do you think its because of the numbers you keep? the fact that the stud dogs are experianced and "get it" so to speak? or just my bad luck in the past?

Kent,

I don't use my stud dogs that often, so you would think they would get more frustrated (Fussy who I let them go to) - I think each dog is different and some will no doubt get stressed.

Mike

An admirable thing, not very common though stud fees being as they are. too much rubbish is bred for cash