H W Cooey

Hopper Bopper

Hold it very tight the first time you pull the trigger.

Have never known one that doesn't break on its own and eject the cart past your earhole and give you a face full of smoke (at best). They usually fall to bits after each shot and usually come wrapped in insulation tape to hold them together.

I have one too. :lol:

Hold it very tight the first time you pull the trigger.

Have never known one that doesn't break on its own and eject the cart past your earhole and give you a face full of smoke (at best). They usually fall to bits after each shot and usually come wrapped in insulation tape to hold them together.

I have one too. :lol:

Oh !!!!

Do you use yours and if so what is the max load weight that you use?

HB

Last time out with mine it failed to go bang when I pulled the trigger, that was the end of it for me.

My father bought it new about 40 years ago, for £13 IIRC, so it has some sentimental value. It was also the first 12 bore I ever fired (also about 40 years ago, it knocked me flat!! (I was only 8)

Shot plenty of Eley Maximums through it over the years, and claimed many hares with them too. Only time I ever remember my father praising me was when I shot 3 hares in a 2 acre field while he lamped with the ploughing lamp on the tractor. We were paid £10 bounty on hares back then and we earned a small fortune that night.

As I say, it has sentimental value. :)

Load was not something that bothered me (or the gun) it was the falling to bits thing that was the issue. Most folk had one back in the day, most fell to bits too.

top tip: do not have the tip of your thumb behind that lever when you fire it, you will hurt!

I'm not painting a very good picture am I. :no:

Could be I keep bad company and skinflint farmers are not the ones to be looking after these things.

Hope yours is none of the above :good:

• 5 months later...

Well guys here we go.

finally took the Coohey out last saturday.

I fire off 4 shots at passing pigeons and hit a big fat zero.

However i used 1 ounce load, 28g 30g and finally 36g all with no probs at all.

The gun was nice and smooth to use, just got to learn what lead i need with this gun compared to my others which are all 28" open-ish chokes, not 30" with full choke.

HB

if your feeling brave i can lend you some 42g bb cartridges but from what your m8 saying wear glasses/bodyarmour as u see fit ,sounds like a rover a good idea on paper but notso reliable :lol:

I would be well up for meet in the middle and try it out if you want. pm me if you want to have a try.

ATVB

HB

had one of those years ago, spent about 4 times what i paid for the gun trying to stop the thing flying open with every shot, only advantage at times was the second shot was quick when holding a cart between the fingers ready to reload, gave up with it in the end, hacksawed through the action and gave it to plod to dispose of, if you want a cheap single barrel 12, stick to baikals