Finally back on the pigeons

bunny_blaster

Well after a busy 3 months helping a friend on his rearing fields I managed to get a weekend off. Most of the pheasants and duck have gone to the customers now so he can manage with what's left on his own. The only shooting I've been doing is on the foxes at night so it was good to be back on the road after the pigeons. Saturday came and the car was packed and ready to go. I headed off and found birds on some rape stubble with a strong flight line joining them. I drove them off and then went and checked another piece of ground to see if any of it had been cut. On my return I saw another shooter setting up (pigeon controller maybe?) on a field the opposite side of the road to the main farm. I got back to the first field and the birds were back on it so I got set up. I could hear a few shots from the other shooter and this pushed birds back my way. The birds soon started to decoy but the flight line started to slow down after 20 odd shots. The birds came in steady for a few hours and then it went completely dead. I ended the afternoon with 88 picked.

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIwODA1LVdBMDAxLmpwZw.jpg

I was back on the road today and did my usual route looking for birds. I found very small numbers on the rape and a few on laid wheat but nothing to warrant setting up. I went back to the same farm as yesterday and noticed a few birds on the same field the other shooter was on but right down the far end of the field. As I drove down about 60 birds got up so I sat and watched for half an hour. They started to slowly return and a bit of of a flight line was starting to pick up along the opposite hedge to me. I set up and had birds coming to the decoys but not committing properly. I tried changing the pattern several times but to no avail. About 15 minute before I got hit by the thunder storm the birds went mad and where pilling in then it went dead and the rain came down. I ran back to the landy and waited for the rain to ease off. The rain seemed to be the kiss of death and after it had stopped so did the birds. The next hour produced 6 birds so I called it a day and packed up with 116 picked.

Looking forward to next weekend

Cheers

Ben

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIwODA1LVdBMDAwLmpwZw.jpg