Redding model 16

Hi there I have recently aquired a 12 bore redding model 16 (round charge bar) and I only have 1 each of bushings, a no 20 powder and a 1 1/16oz shot. Redding don't have any as it's 30 -40 yrs old. Does anyone out there know of any that are available or how to make them (they are not straightforward to make like mec or hornady ones)?

Best I can think of is what you`ve done in posting on forums ! There will be some spares out there somewhere.

I bought spares in the late 80`s from T.Bland,unfortunately their doors closed long ago.Given the shaping required the bushes would be tricky to replicate.

HTH ,good luck !

P.m. Sent. I am still on the lookout for other sizes that snarepeg doesn't have. Having just re-read the manual that Redding kindly sent me when I asked them for bushes I see that they at one time did a 20 bore die-set I wonder If anyone out there has one of those they no longer require?

Contact somebody through Model Engineer magazine or a local model engineer club who has a lathe and loves to tinker. There are loads of skilled but redundant or retired engineers out there who would be happy to take on a challenge in exchange for a few bob.

Get them to make you up a range of dies. I had a 16. Thats what I did. Also got him to make me a longer crimping die which worked perfectly. He also made me some other things which we don't need to discuss here but have been "lost" since so it doesn't matter.

Edited by Vince Green

• 3 weeks later...

You do it on a face plate easily enough,Make up a bracket to hold it. Or you can make up a dummy charge bar with a hole the right size through it to take a blank and then turn it between centres.

Thanks again Vince will take this information to the guy when I next go to see my parents. He's already lined up to make me a shorter die (once I get the steel) to hold the case through the loading process so I can do 65mm cases. Do I understand from your earlier post that you converted a press to another bore? or were they just bits to improve the 12 bore?

• 7 months later...

Hello there, my son has just spent his birthday money on a really old Redding model 16 reloader - the one with the round charging bar. He has cleaned it all up and it all works well. The dies are mostly serviceable, but the de-priming one has a rather soft pin, which keeps bending. My worry is that after several goes at straightening it with pliers, it will snap off

If anyone has, or knows of someone who has a set of 12 gauge dies for the Redding model 16 which they want to sell, then please do get in touch - especially if one of them is a de-primer.

Cheers

Rod