New arrivals

Terry P

Just got back from walking the dog at the local marsh. In my bleery eyed state I thought I was hearing things, after a quick scan with the bino's I was buzzing to see nine wigeon happily swimming around with the mallard.

They really did put a spring in my step.

Could be failed breeders, there were 23 there this morning. Out of interest I went back through my diaries of when I used to shoot there and I had wigeon six out of the ten 1st's, we have a fair few lakes on the island, do wigeon breed in the uk as i've hever heard of any breeding pairs around here.

Lovely to hear though,just the tonic for a monday morning.

Small numbers of wigeon starting to arrive on the N Norfolk coast. They are not unusual here in late August ( last season we had 80 on the marsh on Sep 4th ) and most are adult males or juveniles with the adult females not arriving in numbers for another 8 weeks. Like Terry I often bag a wigeon on the first morning.

The mallard breeding season has been poor in Norfolk , but a few late broods showing now , but all very young and will not be flying by the start of the season. James I am curious to know what makes you think the Lindisfarn pinks are yearlings ? Any year old pinks should be in exactly the same plumage\size as the adults and any of this years young will be in company of their parents.

Edited by anser2

The mallard breeding season has been poor in Norfolk , but a few late broods showing now , but all very young and will not be flying by the start of the season. James I am curious to know what makes you think the Lindisfarn pinks are yearlings ? Any year old pinks should be in exactly the same plumage\size as the adults and any of this years young will be in company of their parents.

Thanks anser2. Thought the mallard season wasn't great. I didn't notice the comment about yearlings. I would have thought they would be very similar to adultsby now. I've only ever noticed once I've shot one.

Heard my first wigeon this morning when i was out with the dogs, couldn't see it as it was still pretty dark. I have noticed a few groups of Mandarin flying about lately, and i saw 2 north carolina tree ducks on the canal not far from the marsh last weekend. Should make the idenification fun on the 1st!

The Mandarin seem to have had a half decent season and are showing up around my area in big numbers. We had a pack of 30+ over us at the end of last season.

Always difficult to tell with the widgeon in your area SP3. Are they new arrivals or something just popped out for a fly about?lol

The Mandarin seem to have had a half decent season and are showing up around my area in big numbers. We had a pack of 30+ over us at the end of last season.

Always difficult to tell with the widgeon in your area SP3. Are they new arrivals or something just popped out for a fly about?lol

Good question, i only heard 2 cock wigeon calls more than likely the same bird. Could be 1 from up the road but was there last week and didn't see any on the reserve. Only 1 i saw was on the rushy pen and appears to be resident.

I will look on the positive side and say it was the first of many to arrive for the 1st :lol:

Good question, i only heard 2 cock wigeon calls more than likely the same bird. Could be 1 from up the road but was there last week and didn't see any on the reserve. Only 1 i saw was on the rushy pen and appears to be resident.

I will look on the positive side and say it was the first of many to arrive for the 1st :lol:

Can you have a word and ask them to be a little earlier this year. The wait was really getting to me last season!!

Can you have a word and ask them to be a little earlier this year. The wait was really getting to me last season!!

By the time they arrived, i had forgotten how to fire the gun and was wondering if ducks might be invisible!! Fingers crossed for a wet/cold and windy winter (but not so cold the ban comes in!)