Ducks Attacked!

i was thinking ,would a heron do this ,i remember on an old farm the farmer asked if ive seen anyone shooting his carp in his lake or using a bow ,i said it was a heron killing the fish and it was to big to eat ,would it be leaches? maybe the heron was fighting because it had young about ?? sorry dont know just a guess or you have a CHUPACABRA lol ,please keep us posted

i was thinking ,would a heron do this ,i remember on an old farm the farmer asked if ive seen anyone shooting his carp in his lake or using a bow ,i said it was a heron killing the fish and it was to big to eat ,would it be leaches? maybe the heron was fighting because it had young about ?? sorry dont know just a guess or you have a CHUPACABRA lol ,please keep us posted

Heron might not be a bad shout, seen one eat a little grebe once and a bloke photographed it. Ever known them to attack full grown ducks but they will readily take young.

Karpman

stoat or even mink? failing that fox [perhaps disturbed] :hmm:

Wouldn't have thought it was a stoat. Stoats bite to the back of the neck.

Not sure if it is kids with an air rifle either. There's some hair missing from around the wound. Don't think an air rifle would do that.

Don't have a clue myself but just throwing a suggestion out there. Could it have been a feral cat? What wound would that leave?

Edited by Reece

Its not one a fox has killed (skin and check the neck) and a buzzard has started to eat is it? Looks to have been plucked slightly to me? I had a pheasant killed in a very similar way, I skinned then neck after seeing the puncture wound and found trauma around the neck where charlie had taken it first.

Just a suggestion from my experience. I dont think it would be a heron at 15 weeks old, I have had them take 6 week old ducks before but never that age.

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Chris

Funny you should say a Herron there is a few around as I see the quite often in pairs, wound they attack a 15 week old duck??

A mate of mine claimes to have seen a heron swollow a canada goose chick, 2 crows were mobing it and before it was ready to feast on a heron flew in and took it off um.Not sure how old it was thou and it certainly didn,t get any older.

Hi All,

I have had two of my mallard killed over the weekend, they both were not taken just killed with small puncture wounds and no plucking?

anyone any ideas?

They were left dead beside the pond and not taken away so this probably rules out the fox.

See attcahed picture for wound which was similar on both ducks.

is that pic as it was found or have you plucked it off a little to show us the damage

A mate of mine claimes to have seen a heron swollow a canada goose chick, 2 crows were mobing it and before it was ready to feast on a heron flew in and took it off um.Not sure how old it was thou and it certainly didn,t get any older.

A heron will take chicks allright if given the oppertunity, but unless an adult mallard is injured or sick I doubt a heron would represent much of a threat. The wound on the bird in the pic does look like it was made by a pellet. Though I have seen farmyard ducks with similiar injuries after a mink attack.

i can believe it. heron regularly swallow whole rats. big ones too. as said though i doubt a heron would attack a duck this size. it remains a mystery :lookaround:

Fair enough if you plucked it then you can rule out what I have suggested. Does seem more like an avian puncture wound more than a mammal though.

When do u start shooting your ducks mate? Mine kick off on the 15th.

Cheers

Chris

Mine start on the 15th also, just starting off with a 50 bird shoot! What are you starting with?

Kevin

Edited by Dunteige Mallard