223 reloading kit

Hi mate, for the money approx £110 lee reloading kit think it is the 50 anniversary one is pretty good. Some would say it is basic but Ive had one and it works infact Im getting

another one..You will need the dies to go with it which are about £35 then your ready to go.... you will need cases, powder and tips.

powder etc depends on what you want from your round, then you need to find out what your rifle likes, it can be trail and error..

what rifle do you have?

Tell us more about what you want to get from it, loading can be done to many different ends. Producing the very best for your rifles or just saving a few quid and getting better availability. Also how many rounds do you intend to get through and any other guns? hunting or target? plinking away at 100yds or more serious stuff?

I have a 17 and 22 use them both most weeks on bunny's and Fox's. I have had a slot for a 223 for a while so have decided to by a Browning x bolt next week. Like I said I am new to the reloading, so yes it's to save some money and get the better bullet. As for the long range stuff it would be good but one step at a time.

Buy the RCBS kit then and you will have a better base to go forward with, the Lee kit you will upgrade too many bits on if or as you progress IMO. I still use a lot of the stuff my first RCBS kit bought years ago for much of my reloading needs, yet i have become quite fussy to the point of obsesive about my handloads

RCBS OR LYMANS OR LEE i have a bit of all of them ,its like anything you start from the basics and work up ,if you can see if you can get someone to show you the ropes ,you need to get it right ,you can get some good second had presses ,but i would get new dies ,what rifle have you got ,what length of barrel and twist ,are you shooting on the range or in the field /vermin

Get the starter kit complete mate, dont start buying up all sorts of different bits from all and sundry. It will cost you way more and much flustation in the long run. A book is the most important part- read it all before you make a start, there is normally someone local to help if you ask

Buy the RCBS kit then and you will have a better base to go forward with, the Lee kit you will upgrade too many bits on if or as you progress IMO. I still use a lot of the stuff my first RCBS kit bought years ago for much of my reloading needs, yet i have become quite fussy to the point of obsesive about my handloads

+1 on RCBS. I know it is more expensive than the Lee stuff. Having said that I know there are certain bits of kit that lee make which are more than very good but the problem I have noticed is that there seems to be many people that can have problems with Lee stuff - their scales and broken press handles come to mind. The only bit of Lee I have is their thimble type deburrer which I regard the best one for useing on .22 and smaller. Having bigged up RCBS I must say all my dies are either Redding or Wilson.

To be honest you must be governed by your pocket - if you can stretch to the RCBS starter kit, you wont go wrong, but if it wont, then the Lee stuff will get you into this hobby, but be prepared - it can take over your life - when I lock my study door I dont take phone calls or even accept a cup of coffee.

If you only plan to shoot say 200 rounds a year, then weigh up the pros and cons cost wise of reloading or buying factory ammo - some factory fodder can shoot tiny groups.

There is a PW member off here who lives in Camborne - he is an experienced reloader with the small calibres - it might be a good idea to hook up with him, an hour with him would be more informative than a reloading manual which should be a must anyway.

Peter

Edited by dicehorn

have a look at youtube ,you can get some good info from there ,and people are more than happy to help ,the thing is everyone has different views on reloading ,a lot of folk go way over the top ,there is no need for this ,just start of with the basics to get you going ,then its up to you how far you want to take it ,get a good soild work bench as well and a good dab radio ,need a bit planit rock while you reload :good:

Edited by pigeon pete

have a look at youtube ,you can get some good info from there ,and people are more than happy to help ,the thing is everyone has different views on reloading ,a lot of folk go way over the top ,there is no need for this ,just start of with the basics to get you going ,then its up to you how far you want to take it ,get a good soild work bench as well and a good dab radio ,need a bit planit rock while you reload :good:

Keep all electical goods away from the loading area, some effect scale readings (as do flourecent lighting) and it aint good to have such things near primers / powder

Hi Guys, thanks for all the great advice, i think if the budget will stretch i might go for the RCBS starter kit.

I have not got the rifle yet looking to get one next week, looking to get the Browning X Bolt???? Going to give Helston Gunsmith a ring later and see if they can match the price the Sportsman’s have there’s up for.

Dicehorn have you any idea what the guy is call in Camborne?

We have just replaced our old Spaniel with a puppy so it’s not looking like i will be doing as much with the shot gun this year now so i intend to concentrate on the rifles.

Thanks guys

Shaun

+1 on RCBS. I know it is more expensive than the Lee stuff. Having said that I know there are certain bits of kit that lee make which are more than very good but the problem I have noticed is that there seems to be many people that can have problems with Lee stuff - their scales and broken press handles come to mind. The only bit of Lee I have is their thimble type deburrer which I regard the best one for useing on .22 and smaller. Having bigged up RCBS I must say all my dies are either Redding or Wilson.

To be honest you must be governed by your pocket - if you can stretch to the RCBS starter kit, you wont go wrong, but if it wont, then the Lee stuff will get you into this hobby, but be prepared - it can take over your life - when I lock my study door I dont take phone calls or even accept a cup of coffee.

If you only plan to shoot say 200 rounds a year, then weigh up the pros and cons cost wise of reloading or buying factory ammo - some factory fodder can shoot tiny groups.

There is a PW member off here who lives in Camborne - he is an experienced reloader with the small calibres - it might be a good idea to hook up with him, an hour with him would be more informative than a reloading manual which should be a must anyway.

Peter

My point realy surounds the fact that you might add to this RCBS kit but you will use it all in many years time withour any need to upgrade the basics. dies are common fitting and i agree buy the best you can in this area and look after them

Personally I would go RCBS however in your situation I would start off with some factory ammo for a while. Simply because while getting used to the gun and working out accuracy levels learning to reload and experiment with them adds another complication to the mix. With a few boxes of factory you can practice and shoot some foxes without adding the variables that come with working up a load and any issues you may come upon while shooting in the rifle.

Personally I would go RCBS however in your situation I would start off with some factory ammo for a while. Simply because while getting used to the gun and working out accuracy levels learning to reload and experiment with them adds another complication to the mix. With a few boxes of factory you can practice and shoot some foxes without adding the variables that come with working up a load and any issues you may come upon while shooting in the rifle.

totally and all new guns are not covered on waranty using homeloads. If it dont/wont shoot some factory ammo then return it. also save like branded brass rather than buy new

Thank guys, going to the Sportsmans next week so i will have a look at that kit there. Then like you said its trial and error, more error on my part i would think lol.

Cheers

Shaun

If you're still not sure what to get, I'll be happy to meet you at the Sportsmans to give you a hand. Sometimes it is just as important to not get what you don't want/need as it is to get what you do. A good pushy salesman can work wonders on reducing the weight of your wallet. If you wish you could pop in and have a look and see just how basic the requirement is to load to a standard suitable for your needs. I'm just 9 miles from the M5 junction where the shop is located.

Edit: Missing word added.

Edited by wymberley

totally and all new guns are not covered on waranty using homeloads. If it dont/wont shoot some factory ammo then return it. also save like branded brass rather than buy new

bloody hell agreement is almost becoming regular :lol:

Best option with mine was norma in 55gr from memory a very decent factory load and very good brass to reload.

Hi guys,

I had thought it would be best to use factory ammo in the gun to start with good point about the warranty and it not cycling the rounds correctly though....

Good point about saving the brass, thanks wymberley for the offer of meeting me at the sportsman’s I may well take you up on that.

Shaun

Keep all electical goods away from the loading area, some effect scale readings (as do flourecent lighting) and it aint good to have such things near primers / powder

SO YOUR SAYING I GOT TO RELOAD IN THE DARK .HUMM MAYBE I SHOULD DO RELOADING UNDER CANDLE LIGHT ,were do you get off kent !! what happens if you use an electric powder thrower

Get the starter kit complete mate, dont start buying up all sorts of different bits from all and sundry. It will cost you way more and much flustation in the long run. A book is the most important part- read it all before you make a start, there is normally someone local to help if you ask

starter kits are good ,but there's nout wrong with getting good secondhand kit from actions ,you can save money ,been there done it and wore the t shirt

you get quick loads at low tollerance, suitable for bulk banging thats what

well it don't make a bit of deference ,i got a strip light in my shed ,i have a DAB radio right above my head were my electronic scales are and a smaller pillar light from my lathe,i still get the same loads from the micro scale as i check them every 10 rounds with my normal scales ,if i reload in the day or at night ,,but if you want i will get out my wet suite just to make sure i dont get any static from my body ,and i will take my phone out of my pocket and take off my divers watch ,what a load of cod wallop , Edited by pigeon pete