Could have done better

JDog

I had an afternoon on the wheat stubble today and it could have been better.

The problem was that I gave an outing to my first ever under and over, a lovely Beretta which has been languishing in the gun cabinet for a while ever since I replaced it with a gun with which I shoot reasonably well.

The birds decoyed quite well. Those that stayed clear of the pattern were often in range and those are the ones I like, passing at 35-40m, and which I can normally shoot. But not today. The gun is just too different from my 'normal' gun. It has shorter barrels, a straight stock and it is quite a lot lighter. The result was a lot of clean misses.

I picked 32 pigeons, two ferals, three carrion crows and three jackdaws for eighty five shots, well below par.

This is a shot of my set up and the bag.

DSC04121.jpg

i would say as decoys chrispt

Then I would have suggested getting rid of them.

Having decoys near your hide like that, means the pigeons will be looking straight at the hide, therefor noticing the slightest amount of movement you make.

Just one of many little things you can do to help give yourself the upper hand.

Good effort mate, Im sure a few rounds of clays will get your eye in on the gun :good:

Whats the birds on the bales for :hmm:

They were real live pigeons, so taken by my hide and my decoy set up, me wandering around with the camera and my dogs that they came and landed on the bales to get a better look!

Seriously you have a point about the pigeons, but I did the same thing with crows on three bales behing me and that did seem to bring other blackies in with confidence.