Pike sunbathing today in my local pond

WelshLamb

nice one m8 ,i started spearfishing last year and i wanted to go snorkeling in the river or lakes ,but ive pulled out a 19.5lbs out with rod and line and havent had the bottle to go in as there's been some 30lbs+ coming out ,,,,, disclaimer you cant spearfish in fresh water ,,,,,,,i was only going to go training for holding my breath ,,,,

that why when we seen a huge pike ,must of been well into its 20lbs ,just sat at the margin of a reed bed ,we put plugs and spinners right over its nose and right past its eyes ,it just backed up and went into the deep and didn't want to know ,the 19.5lb i caught was on a black flying condom salmon spinner ,there was no fight ,it was like reeling in a wet sack ,but m8 when we got it into the boat to get the spinner out it was not happy ,is it right that any pike over 12lb is female ?

Edited by pigeon pete

I caught a 29 lb fish out of the upper Bristol avon a few years ago ...we were chub fishing and I was playing out a 31/2lb chub over the large keep net which my freind was holding and this thing suddenly swam up from the deep swirled and literally engulfed the whole chub in its gob. It would not let go and before it knew what was happening my mate had the net under it.

The chub already had cormorant scars on it and it was in a hell of a state. I took it to my dads house in a bucket and revived it in his very large garden pond. smothered it in antibiotic cream he uses on his Koi and it survived and lived for 11 seasons reaching just under 7LB on a high protein koi diet, maggots, bread, worms and anything else organic which fell into the pond including frogs and a young sparrow.!

I never had the gall to credit myself with the capture of the Pike or declare it as a new club record. :no:

well done for spotting the pike welsh lamb the camo on there back makes them almost invisible. a pike this size is a perfect meal for a bigger female pike. it will do well to last the winter. :good:

When I was a teen I used to help the local river bayliff on the Coln nearby, a prime cotswold trout river. We used to spend hours walking the river banks in summer and blasting the Pike in the margins when we found them basking, with a 12 G.

When polaroids came along in the early 80,s it made it much easier to spot them.

Edited by Fisherman Mike

When I was a teen I used to help the local river bayliff on the Coln nearby, a prime cotswold trout river. We used to spend hours walking the river banks in summer and blasting the Pike in the margins when we found them basking, with a 12 G.

When polaroids came along in the early 80,s it made it much easier to spot them.

sounds like fun. good old eightys. quite an art to shooting fish i remember my dad shoooting trout with a .22 rimmy the fish wasn't where you thought it was. that was in flowing water mind.