Laws on blank firers and their usage.

Evening Ladies and Gents,

A couple I know have been suffering with pigeons in their garden. They put out seeds for the black birds, robins etc but the pigeons keep coming in and taking the seeds, and in the process damaging bird tables, a bird bath and the plants in the garden.

I'm not convinced they (The pigeons) could be shot under the regulations of the general license, they are reluctant to have them shot anyway and in any case, with lots of breakables in a fairly confined garden I wouldn't be happy air gunning them anyway.

My question is, could they buy (or make) a blank firer, and blanks for one, and use it to scare off the pigeons in the garden? They originally asked me but I wasn't sure and promised them I'd find out.

Thanks in advance!

I know that 6mm (.22) blanks can be bought without a licence.

I know that you can legally fire them in a gun* without a licence.

I know you can do this in a public place so long as you have good reason, and you aren’t causing hassle to anyone else.

*assuming it’s a starting pistol, pre 1898* looking gun or something else that doesn’t look like a real gun.

I also think it needs to be side venting with a blocked barrel so no chance of making it into a real gun.

I think the problem will be with non-firearms laws.

Disturbing the peace, annoying the neighbours and so on.

You also might find a few armed police knocking on the door asking what’s going on.

I’m pretty sure that a quick google will find all sorts of noise based bird scare’s that don’t require blank rounds and just work with an air horn or speakers.

It might be a better route to take.

Alternatively, the 3” wire sounded like a very sensible plan.

Edited by Robl