Shooting sticks

TCarn

Most of my shooting is 60yds going out to 160ish, I need to sort out some sticks as I cannot always find the necessary support. I am considering a Primos Trigger Stick Tall Bipod http://www.bushwear....6964&ClassID=46 I like the idea of them being fully adjustable.

Has anyone had experience of this product... any views good or bad.

thanks

Single sticks take a fair amount of practice to use, but are better as a std hazel one - cut far longer than normal so you can lean it towards you for better stability. Doubles are better adjustable ( as they make great sitting sticks unlike singles, which are inferiour to std sitting stances without an any help). Triples and quad sicks are good if you have easy ground and are prepared to practice setting them and put up with all the extra clanking- a step too far for me on rough ground to be fair. Shooting off twin sticks an otherwise good shot can soon lean with practice to shoot MOA at 100yds- i aint ever met anyone who can do that off hand with a deer rifle!

I have the Primos sticks and I can tell you I love them. Unfortunately I had an accident with mine and ended up running over them with the truck. I know I am a total DH. They do still work but tend to stick on two of the legs. However when I bought mine originally they were about £130, I notice now that Bushwear are doing them for £99. I can asure you that I will now be ordering a new set.

They are a bit bulky, they are not too heavy, but they do give an instant level shooting platform and have helped me take out many Deer and foxes. Once again, I love them.

tried them all,now got diy quad sticks wouldnt be without them

+1.

Cost about a tenner, takes around an hour to make, and great to get good results from your own work.

They cover all the bases, as in monopod, bipod or full quad sticks.

Very robust so they make a good walking aid when negotiating tricky slopes.

Used mine on all types of ground without any problems.

I suggest practicing with an air rifle so that you get used to them.

I use a Bogpod tripod. As Kent says there is an issue with clakking with all tripods, the secret is just practise. I can carry and deploy mine in silence. I've found it best to carry them horizontally fore and aft with the feet to the rear to avoid snagging them on something. I like the fact the head pans 360 degrees and they go low enough to be used seated, which is very stable. Also useful are measuring marks on the legs so you can set them to the same heights for certain jobs. Makes them faster to use.

I struggled with them at first but now I regularly shoot rabbits at 180 odd yds with them from a standing position with my .222. I couldn't manage half that when I first got them. You extend your range with practise.

I still use a pair of hazel sticks sometimes. The great advantage is their stoutness which means you can use them in various ways such as leant against a tree for a sloping support. And you can carry rabbits on them.

Edited by Gimlet

+1 for diy quad sticks, four green garden poles for a garden centre and a bit of elastic, will eventually swap to wooden version which is lighter and quiter once i fully get the hang of them and am less likely to snap a leg trying to twist them round. I have seen them used by the lad I shoot with at silly ranges on foxes 300yards and more with a .223 I dont think there is anything else that would give you a steady shot for those ranges

+1 for diy quad sticks, four green garden poles for a garden centre and a bit of elastic, will eventually swap to wooden version which is lighter and quiter once i fully get the hang of them and am less likely to snap a leg trying to twist them round. I have seen them used by the lad I shoot with at silly ranges on foxes 300yards and more with a .223 I dont think there is anything else that would give you a steady shot for those ranges

Any pics please :good:

Thanks to all for the comments, I have taken the plunge and gone for the Primos Trigger Stick Tall Tripod

http://www.bushwear.co.uk/nostyles.php?ProductID=316957&ClassID=46

It seems the one trigger adjustment allows the tripod to be easily set even on rough or uneven ground. The device will be here on Tuesday, so I will have a good play with them and come back on my findings.

FISHERUK type in cheap shooting sticks in your search engine and mark gilchrist making them should come up somewhere,best thing since sliced bread or if you are feeling flush look up southwick shooting sticks,expensive at £90 but really nice,i was thinking about getting them but the DIY ones do absolutely fine so saved my money and put it towards my shotgun fund

atb dave

Edited by telf