Rat control advice

Dirty Harry

I've been usin the big cheese traps for a few years now and have aught loads with them. I think I will get a few of he inclosed box ones.

Al4x we don't have a loft in that part of the house unfortunatly. As for the grain store it does not comply with modern regs and never will. It probably did in 1600 AD!

We don't sell the grain just use it for feed.

It looks like they are taking the bait outside. Fingers crossed they stay out there.

Another tip for indoor use is those ultrasonic plug in devices,the pest-stop range have a pet safe setting,they plug in a wall socket.They stop them setting up home but i still catch the odd mouse in snap traps.Part of my job is pest control at a school surrounded by fields with game cover and feeders,soon as the weather turns cold the rodents come in for cover.

But with plenty of poison boxes around the surrounding ditches,then snap trap boxes near the buildings because poison only ends up with stinkers under the floorboards,and finally the last line of defence are the ultra sonic plug ins.Hope this helps you Harry.

There are all manner or live and spring traps on the market and a lot of "poisons", oh yes forget the sonic deterrents, they are a joke, you may catch a few on glue boards and they could be worth considering in some areas, shooting doesn't sound like it is going to help much. It is useful to try baits with a different active ingredient from time to time as well.

I suspect the approach will be removal and then proofing.

We can all offer lots of suggestions but as you are already involved in some level of rat control in the area I suggest that maybe a visit from a professional is an idea to properly survey the problem! :good:

• 5 weeks later...

1. Another point of ingress which appears be have been overlooked in the main drains. As a proffessional pest controller, 9 times out of 10 this is where I find the probems internally stemming from. i would recommend lifting the drain / sewer covers and checking for droppings on the bench or foot prints in the silt. Tether rodenticide blocks to a wire and place them on the benches so they eat and not drag it away. There only has to be a slight mis allignemt of the stack / soil pipe where it hits the main sewer and they will up the cavity and into the viod areas.

2. i would also raise a few floor boards and put some talc or tracking dust dust down to monitor movements., Where you find tracks etc, these areas can be treated with a contact dust or gel ( laced with rodenticide) which will be stuck to the rats fur as they pass through it and digested when grooming takes place. ( I am unsure what if any though is available for amateur use )

3. finally, with such an abundance of good food regularly available on the farm, I would avoid using conventional grain baits and blocks. better still.....knowing thats rats need a substantial amount a water a day, id try where possible to eliminate easy water sources where practicably possible and use a liquid rodenticide in secure boxes near active burrows and food sources......again..thats what I would do........ but unsure what products are available from agricultural stockist etc