Training someone elses mutt??

njc110381

I think this could well be my first post in this section but here goes...

My uncle has a lovely three year old pedigree cocker which I met for the first time this week. She's been completely left to ruin, pretty much zero training (it will sit, maybe... sometimes). Being a dog lover I was quite keen to sit and play so we started off by trying to fetch - trouble was trying to take her toy resulted in growling/teeth and everyone backs off when she does it!

Being quite strong willed I wasn't having that... Lots of eye contact and a pretty firm stance got the toy without any drama and we started to do the whole fetch thing (although I have to go to her to take the toy each time at first). In half an hour we had got as far as throwing the stuffed toy bone and she would bring it to me, I could put my hand out and say drop and she'd let go without fuss, then sit on command for me to throw it again.

It's been suggested that I take said mutt shooting, but how much work will it take to get her steady? She's a quick learner but after three years of running around like a nutter I can't see it being an easy task?!

I'd like to give it a go for the dog's sake. She gets the odd walk but sitting around the house is no life for a bright animal that's got generations of working dogs behind her. I hate to see dogs being treated as humans.... comments like "that's her toy, leave her alone" just aren't healthy! But nobody in the house seems to know how a dog works mentally? I can't claim to be an expert but I do know that her current treatment is far from ideal.

I think a good run around picking up pigeons would be the most fun day she's ever had!

Would you be able to have the dog or would it still be living with the relatives?

If you can have it it might be worth a go but if not I wouldn't bother.

Harry

Exactly what I would say.

Although it's a shame to see a good dog wasted, if the owner wanted it trained in anyway then he would train it. At the end of the day whether we agree or disagree with a persons decision there busines is there business.

All the very best with whatever you decide to do.

Lee