Dodgy cartridge?

Afternoon, I had a jam with my pump yesterday. 1st time the s'nova has failed. Although on closer inspection I'm wondering if the cart was to blame...

Here is the culprit, a 3 1/2' Mammoth Steel BB from Gamebore. You can see where the brass has split, it got stuck in the extractor claw and wouldn't pump free. Has anyone seen this before, or any ideas why it happened? Cheers

053FFAA5-3439-443B-8BAB-9692D5FC1C69-1853-000001E91DC0240F.jpg

CD8F25F5-9F69-4790-BD55-486D14CCA7FB-1853-000001E92E9B9A8E.jpg

Believe it or not, that was NEW out of the box last week. It's been on my belt for 2 visits to the marsh only. The salty environment makes em rusty in hours. I should have dried it properly after the first week.

And no, never had the problem before, and I put a few more though afterwards without issue.

Edited by Wildfowler12

That cartridge fired? yet failed to eject? am i correct? looks like a pressure issue has forced the shell back onto the ejector groove. If i am correct get the gun checked by a proper gunsmith for correct headspacing or any other issues, take the case with you. If nothing found send the case to gamebore and see if they can tell you more. BTW you could do with scapping some of your old rusty tops, i am having to throw a beltfull away following a swimming session on friday. Its not worth the risk with steel shells

That cartridge fired? yet failed to eject? am i correct? looks like a pressure issue has forced the shell back onto the ejector groove. If i am correct get the gun checked by a proper gunsmith for correct headspacing or any other issues, take the case with you. If nothing found send the case to gamebore and see if they can tell you more. BTW you could do with scapping some of your old rusty tops, i am having to throw a beltfull away following a swimming session on friday. Its not worth the risk with steel shells

if it was a pressure issue wouldn't the primer be flat ??

I think i'll have to stop wearing a cartridge belt on the marsh. I read an article in SG that suggested storing them in food bags to keep the salty air off them.

Anyway, gamebore are investigating currently and have said they'll get back to me. (Probably to say, the cartridge was rusty so shouldn't have been used) :lol: