Szie of a Fox Litter

kevmag

We found a fox den in a small wooded area about 2 mouths ago, we shot 5 cubs and a vixen with 3 days, late in the evenings and early in the morning, about a week after we seen another 2 cubs and the dog fox, not long after we shoot the dog fox on his own with no cubs.

We just thought it was a lot of cubs to get in the one litter, not sure if the cubs have still alive or not.

Does any know what is the average litter size of its this a normal litter size?

• 1 month later...

There is quite often more than one litter involved when numbers of cubs appear high,usually due to one of the previous years young vixen cubs or the initial vixens sisters using the same site to rear there respective litters ,,in the late 70s my brothers and i dug 12 cubs and 2 vixens out of the same earth with terriers, killing them all. about 100 yards away sat in the middle of the field watching us was a dog fox ..we found its behaviour quite amusing at the time he never moved just sat watching ,.35 years on i now feel sick to my stomach even writing about it..