Skeet gun question / enquiry

Mungler

I saw a skeet gun today that looked like a sawn off o/u - it couldn't have been much over the legal limit for minimum barrel length.

Do they make them like this (short and with fixed open chokes) and if so, what's the spec allowed / provided for by the various Skeet professional bodies? Or is the trick to buy a gun and get it pimped / chopped / cut and shut.

I don't possess a gun with a barrel length under 32". So, what's on offer out there - anyone with a reasonably priced skeet gun gathering dust and fancies a few readies (Essex area and + 1 hour journey only).

Ta muchly,

Mungler, if you look carefully, you should be able to find a purpose-built Skeet O/U gun. I used a 26"-barrelled 12-bore Miroku O/U skeet gun for many years, and with great success. I cannot recall the model number, but it was not modified. It was pushing 7.5lb in weight, with a thick beatvertail fore-end and a 12mm rib. It was choked Skeet/Skeet (surprisingly...). I used it out in the field too - it was great for rough shooting, being so pointable.

Hi Andrew, There are plenty of skeet guns around, sometimes tucked away. They were very popular in the mid-late seventies. English Sporting layouts are more popular now, hence the demand for either multichoke or quarter choke and longer barrels.

I have a Shadow Indy Skeet gun with 27 1/2" barrels and skeet chokes. It was one of the last ones made. I bought it in 1982. It still is mint and my favourite gun to shoot. Fast handling, quick target aquisition. It can still give most of the boys a good hiding on English sporting, but I feel it is stretching it a bit on the long shots (might just be in the mind though ! ) I wouldn't sell it for the world though.

You should be able to find a tidy fixed choke skeet gun from £350 upwards, a Nikko Shadow from £450 or a Shadow Indy from about £750 for a clean one. Regards, John (in Dorset)

post-540-1158870578.jpg

I saw a skeet gun today that looked like a sawn off o/u - it couldn't have been much over the legal limit for minimum barrel length.

Do they make them like this (short and with fixed open chokes) and if so, what's the spec allowed / provided for by the various Skeet professional bodies? Or is the trick to buy a gun and get it pimped / chopped / cut and shut.

I don't possess a gun with a barrel length under 32". So, what's on offer out there - anyone with a reasonably priced skeet gun gathering dust and fancies a few readies (Essex area and + 1 hour journey only).

Ta muchly,

mungler the most popular skeet gun for many years was the remmi 1100 with skeet barrel :good:

Hey there Mungler,

Twenty four and a half inches is the shortest barrel length legally allowed for any shotgun.

Beretta did one this length for their A300-304 series of semi-autos.

For the skeet discipline any barrel length and choking is acceptable, it is down to the individual preference of the shooter.

The 'fashion' in the eighties was for 26" and now it is 28" - 30" - it's all in the mind youn know!!!!!

Chokings used by regular national competitors are a bit secretive, many use full and super full, it's all about accuracy, the use of tight chokes can tell an experienced shooter exactly where his shot pattern is in relation to the target, even at skeet distances!

Cylinder and skeet chokings will give confidence to seasoned competitors and newcomers alike, the thing to do is find a cartridge which patterns well, you are confidant with, that you like and is readily available, shot size is up to you but 8's or 9's are best and registered shoots specify this size.

Don't forget your "safety goggles".

Cheers, C.B. :-}