why big guns for wildfowl??

mr williamson

Wildfowl are often shot at longer ranges than say decoyed pigeons, or Pheasants on a drive. they also have a lot of feathers and down which takes some penetrating through

Also with the invent of non toxic shot, most of which is not as ballistically good as lead, you need a bigger heavier load to do the job.

Plus, you can!

Bigger bores produce better patterns with the bigger charge of shot, smaller bores produce better patterns with smaller charges. If you shooting a rabbit at 20yds a .410 is ideal as the bunny will be dead from a light change of no6- without undue damage, now if you want to bring down a 50-60yd goose firing the said .410 at it is akin to throwing snowballs at the moon! Neither gun is better just more suited to purpose.

If i was shooting Teal over flashes the ten bore is realy the wrong tool but i know a few who use a light fast 20 bore for this sort of shooting, so even in wildfowling you dont always need a big gun with a hefty charge of shot. The 3 1/2" 12 bore is thought by many to replace the ten- trust me as regards patterns with heavy loads at range it does not

I would also say that a definite kill is needed more when out on the marsh (a pheasant gliding into a wood will probably get picked, a goose in the middle of an estuary may not) and as shots are usually few and far between then weight/recoil isn`t as big an issue.

Excellent point!! The energy required for a clean kill on a goose is much higher than say a Pheasant as the body mass is greater and the range will usually be as well. Carried shot and crippling from high shooters is a problem in some areas here and the big gun in capable hands cuts down on both scores.