Any HR types on here

buckaroo23

Need some advice if any one can help.

I recently had 6 weeks off work due to ill health, I was under doctors sick note and informed work every week how I was getting on.

Once I had been diagnosed again I went in to work with all my paper work had an interview with the boss showed him every thing. We then agreed what day I'd start back, once I returned to work I had my return to work, I was then given a letter inviting me to an IOC, I was then given a 26 week stage one, for time off. Now I have this illness that will be with all my life and can result in a bit more sick time, I've asked If when I have a flare up, if I could have a back office job for a few days whilst my medication kicks in I was told no as it wasn't finachely viable, yet in my meeting I was told the company would sursport me, through my illness, I know my illness is coverd under the DDA 1995, I've tried to contact my HR but there havent rang back yet, il be trying them a again tomorrow as well as my union.

Any help would greatly be recived

contact your union as first port of call, if your illness is covered by DDA they must make reasonable adjustments for you wether that be an alteration in your shift pattern/working hours or job discription, for future meetings always have a union rep with you and start to quote DDA regulations, if you are covered by the regulations believe me they will fold. Good luck

Done some digging, the company are not following there own policy. HR are looking into it but have agreed that I was wrongly given a stage one for time off, can't wait to see the boss's face when I drop the policy in front off him.

Edited by buckaroo23

If I understand correctly you've been given a stage one disciplinary for being ill under what is recognised as a disability???

If that's true then someone has made a massive and maybe a costly balls-up.

You should raise a grievance (they will have a policy) and document it all, and take a union rep (or colleague) in there with you.

Or just ring your Solicitors on Monday morning.

if its not financially viable, then what are they meant to do about it?

under the DDA and equality act resonable provision should be made, when there has been empolyees who have been on long term sickness, the company have offered them light duties in the office, all I've asked for was a just in case, as my job is very busy dealing with drivers and employees.

Thunderbird, thanks for the advice. I've found the sickness policy and need to talk to my HR woman (been trying all week so far). I'm hoping they see sense once i show them there own policy, I really do not want to go down the route of hassament yet. But if they don't clear this stage one after the apeal then i will have look at this route.

Edited by buckaroo23