crow decoying any one used one of these before?

mr williamson

i did see that on his new DVD aswell but wernt much secrets revealed,. he didnt go into detail on fieldcraft or anything like that in which i was dissapointed 2bh given that the dvd cost me £25 of my hard earned cash.

i dint have to much success with the crows with the shottie, i knw they didnt like the owl decoy, put a dead crow at his feet or even a crow decoy at his feet in a crowe flight path and they go bonkers.Ive adapted now i find sumwhere with a nice back stop and safe and sit in my doghouse hide with the 17hmr.

yep tried it and at first i thought yeh right were going to look plonkers if the farmer see us ,i can normally call them in with the caller ,so i left out the calling and we had crows flying at the other end of the field about 300m from us ,they was not taking any notice of the deeks as they got to the end of the field i said to my m8 lift the crow ,it was on a 4m pole ,and you should of seen it ,the crows just hooked a right and then came straight at us ,he lifted the pole up then down twice and then left it on the floor till the crows came over the hide ,it worked a few few times ,we use a crow deek with black flexy spread wings made from the same stuff as camping mats are made from

yep tried it and at first i thought yeh right were going to look plonkers if the farmer see us ,i can normally call them in with the caller ,so i left out the calling and we had crows flying at the other end of the field about 300m from us ,they was not taking any notice of the deeks as they got to the end of the field i said to my m8 lift the crow ,it was on a 4m pole ,and you should of seen it ,the crows just hooked a right and then came straight at us ,he lifted the pole up then down twice and then left it on the floor till the crows came over the hide ,it worked a few few times ,we use a crow deek with black flexy spread wings made from the same stuff as camping mats are made from

forgot to say we just had the pole resting on the hide netting and he just lifted it by hand , didn't use sting or hinge

I aggree there it was good shooting wise but as you say not many secrets let out the bag. I shoot a hell of alot of crows regular with a couple of my freinds who are also pw members, but he didnt do much different to our methods!! I did enjoy watching it tho. Wish i was ther to clean up the missed birds haha lol...... Iv never had any luck with owl decoys so i just stick to what i know works!!

my mate uses a 17 hmr out to 200+ yards on the crows, knocks em bandy............

forgot to say we just had the pole resting on the hide netting and he just lifted it by hand , didn't use sting or hinge

did they get wise to it quick? They are blummin clever and dont forget in a hurry!!! Im on on sunday at a permision thats wick with em and never been shot..... Looking forward to it!!

I have'nt tried the 'lifting the pole' ploy, yet, but I'm going to have a bash at making something soon. I have found that a rotary with either dead Crows/Jackdaw's, or decoy's attached, is not very good for Crows. I've noticed that they come in so far, but not far enough to get a shot at, then 'jink' away. Jackdaw's on the other hand, are crazy for it. 95% of the time, they come right in to the rota, and I've even seen them flying around the rota as it spins. On some occassions though, they have avoided it, and once I've switched it off, they then come in closer.

I've yet to have any success using an Owl decoy. I have a small owl and a European owl decoy, but neither have drawn the birds in closer. I have'nt tried the large owl in a tree yet, so maybe doing this will get results.

Steve.

I've watched the DVD and enjoyed it. Interesting to read other people's experiences. I don't shoot many crows with the shotgun though I'm looking to give it more of a go. Usually get good results with a rabbit cut open and hide out and shoot them with the .22 or .17 depending on where I'm shooting. .17 hmr is my favourite tool for crows though.

did they get wise to it quick? They are blummin clever and dont forget in a hurry!!! Im on on sunday at a permision thats wick with em and never been shot..... Looking forward to it!!

we only had a few fly over ,we then moved to a different spot and only had pigeons that weekend but look forward to try it again

Il post how i get on tomorrow with this new permision. Im hoping to bag around the 70 mark as they seem oblivious to me when i reckied it last week.....

But that means nowt realy it boils down to how they are ob the day, many a time iv been sure of a big bag and it went the other way....

none the less i enjoy the constant learning curve these unbeleivably clever birds take us on....

C.W

Il post how i get on tomorrow with this new permision. Im hoping to bag around the 70 mark as they seem oblivious to me when i reckied it last week.....

But that means nowt realy it boils down to how they are ob the day, many a time iv been sure of a big bag and it went the other way....

none the less i enjoy the constant learning curve these unbeleivably clever birds take us on....

M.W