Eye dominance

Liam-1990

Hi all,

I have been looking at these http://www.easyhit.co.uk/ easyhit sights do they really work ?

The reason I ask is my dad is nearly blind in his right eye and is right handed and I would like to take him shooting, hes been nearly blind in his right eye for about 20years would this mean the his left eye will have become the dominant eye over the years ?

So would one of these work to shoot right handed and use your left eye ?

Thanks for the help.

I am strongly left eye dominant, Easyhit, shot spots and countless other gimmicks didnt work for me i shoot left handed disciplined in 2-3 weeks he can change shoulders no problem.........its the discipline that's the hard part.

Edited by HDAV

i am a right hand shooter and left eye dom , don't wast your cash on the sight they didn't work ,if your gun fits you should not see the barrel just the target ,i had a chat to **** ******* about this and he said there ent much you can do ,best just shut one eye just before you shoot or learn to shoot with the other hand ,have a look at this vid and this chap also said people can get mixed up with eye dom and a good gun fit ,have you done the finger test

i am a right hand shooter and left eye dom , don't wast your cash on the sight they didn't work ,if your gun fits you should not see the barrel just the target ,i had a chat to **** ******* about this and he said there ent much you can do ,best just shut one eye just before you shoot or learn to shoot with the other hand ,have a look at this vid and this chap also said people can get mixed up with eye dom and a good gun fit ,have you done the finger test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_JzzhpC8Pc&list=FLYaU3GBkoHkUyaDvaBJpE-A&index=2&feature=plpp_video

to the moderators why have i got stars in my text when i was spelling a top shooters name ?????????????

If your dad has only one good eye, that's the one he will use. Right shoulder - left eye can only work with a crossover stock. Either that or shoot left handed. I have heard that the changeover can be quite quickly acquired. Take him clay shooting and give it a try!

Would you bet money on that :hmm: as Mr Potter often shoots with a guy that shoots right handed and only has sight though his left eye and will out shoot most :yes:

In your Dads case the easyhit won't work at all.

The left eye will be his dominant eye, so in order for him to shoot reasonably he will need to learn to shoot from the left shoulder.

But don't panic..it's actually easier than you think, particularly with the problem he has. But make him shoot with both eyes open as he may be able to see the target with his right eye as a blur which will help a lot. I've seen this problem many, many times and its not much of a problem for a coach.

Within about half an hour he will be ok and loving it. But start him off on a straight forward going away target like station 7, low house skeet.

It will help him understand the gun and where it puts its lead. You just need to hope the comb is not too low for him, slightly high you can get away with for now.

However, if he wants to do it regularly he needs to get a left handed gun that fits. ;)

Edited by COACH

il check it out ans get him to do some clays, he did try them once left handed but he moaned it didnt feel right

Thats because you don't pick up a gun and shoot it "wrong" handed and have it feel normal! There is a technique to follow which requires the DISCIPLINE...

I sell the Unidot sight. http://www.norgascartridges.co.uk

Sadly in your Dads case this type of sight will be of no assistance.

My Dad has been blind of a number of years.

There is an organisation called Shooting for the Blind.

They have a number of locations around Britain where blind persons can shoot an air rifle at a special target utilising a modified scope. THe target is acquired by changes in sound.

My dad has shot this equipment whilst on holiday with St. Dunstans, now in his mid 80s he still enjoys getting the odd shot off despite his blindness.

webber

Hi all,

I have been looking at these http://www.easyhit.co.uk/ easyhit sights do they really work ?

The reason I ask is my dad is nearly blind in his right eye and is right handed and I would like to take him shooting, hes been nearly blind in his right eye for about 20years would this mean the his left eye will have become the dominant eye over the years ?

So would one of these work to shoot right handed and use your left eye ?

Thanks for the help.

er No.he must shoot off left shoulder is answer.

Would you bet money on that :hmm: as Mr Potter often shoots with a guy that shoots right handed and only has sight though his left eye and will out shoot most :yes:

Yep, friend of mine was an AA class English Sporting shot shooting from his right shoulder and assumed to be right eye dominant. Lost his right eye to cancer quite suddenly about 7 or 8 years ago. Now his style of shooting had always been very very quick, almost snap shooting the instant the gun went into his shoulder.

When he started shooting again, 3 or 4 months after the op to remove his eye, his style hadn't changed and his scores were barely affected!!! We all tried to reproduce what his sight picture would be by shoot with our master eye closed, we could hardly hit a thing. My theory on this is that because this guy was a seasoned shooter with this very quick (and I mean quick) style, he was shooting by pure instinct. It did though go to reinforce my belief that gun-fit is not the be all and end all of successful shooting! Sight picture is the most important without doubt, OK if your gun is set up (fitted) perfectly and shoots exactly were you point it that makes things a little bit easier. If, for example, you have a gun that shoots high eventually even the densest amongst us will fathom this out and start shooting underneath the target in order to kill/break it. Similarly if the point of aim is low then the sight picture will be high on the target. Not as easy to master as the high shooting gun but it could be done.

This sight picture business would even work in the horizontal plane, imagine a straight going away target which the well fitted gun in the right shoulder of the right master eyed shooter would be shot straight at (right up its *****). If the shooter swapped shoulders he might now have to deliberately aim two feet to the right or left (can't work out which!!) to break the clay but it can be done, even if the clay/bird is crossing. One way the bird won't need any lead and the opposite way it will require twice the lead you or I would see but sight picture is as individual as a fingerprint.

Ten people shoot a 40 yard, right to left fast standard clay, all ten kill it and every one will i) have seen a different sight picture and ii) describe the lead (sight picture) they gave differently. This will range from nothing to 12 feet and as everyone broke the bird they were all right.

So, if starting from scratch I think eventually anybody can break clays under virtually any combination of left or right handed, left or right master eye, ill fitting gun and so on and so forth. Would not argue that matching things up correctly makes it a damn sight easier and that should be the goal to set.

For the OP I would use myself as an example, first time I ever picked up a shotgun I instinctively put it in my left should as I'm left handed, instructor did the quick check and informed me I had a right master eye. Solutions were to either shoot off left shoulder with right eye closed or to learn to shoot off my right shoulder with both eyes open which is the option I chose. Am still left handed but if I try and put my gun into my left shoulder it feels like I'm trying to shoot with a park bench! The guy above has two choices, the sensible one of shooting off his left shoulder or shoot right handed and learn a very peculiar set of sight pictures, this later can be done as my unfortunate mate demonstrated but it's not the option I'd recommend.

Mr Potter