Birds everywhere but not a flight line in sight

JDog

I went over to one of my farms yesterday late morning to see what was about.

There were five stubble fields all adjacent, two wheat stubble and three barley stubble and there were birds in every one. Two had about 50 in them, both wheat stubbles had about 100 and the other barley stubble had possibly 200 birds feeding in it. I had a good excuse to walk the dogs and I put them all off back down wind and I waited at a distance to see when and on which flight lines they returned.

I waited and waited and waited and in the next hour and a half or so I hardly saw a bird come back. My golden rule is that if there is no line in there is no shooting and so reluctantly I left the farm without setting up which was a pity as conditions were perfect for decoying with a good wind and overcast conditions.

I had exactly the same yesterday. Freshly drilled field I could shoot..... well over 200 birds on it.... had only shot there once or twice before so I thought I'd put the birds downwind and see where they returned...none came back and I had sat there a good 45 minutes. I walked over the other side to find them on the stubble next door.. put them up again and they moved further off... in the end I set the decoys up in the sun with a prayer they would return. I only shot 3 birds in 2 hours and they were just unlucky nosey birds.

It appears at the moment you either need to get rope bangers downwind to keep sending the birds back up, or to just not bother going out!

I went over to one of my farms yesterday late morning to see what was about.

There were five stubble fields all adjacent, two wheat stubble and three barley stubble and there were birds in every one. Two had about 50 in them, both wheat stubbles had about 100 and the other barley stubble had possibly 200 birds feeding in it. I had a good excuse to walk the dogs and I put them all off back down wind and I waited at a distance to see when and on which flight lines they returned.

I waited and waited and waited and in the next hour and a half or so I hardly saw a bird come back. My golden rule is that if there is no line in there is no shooting and so reluctantly I left the farm without setting up which was a pity as conditions were perfect for decoying with a good wind and overcast conditions.

Early doors are what I am at the moment, as you mention there were birds feeding on the field and were all ready there.

I looked at 300 birds feeding on rape around 10 this morning; a couple of claps and off they went. Granted it was heaving down but I shot the other day and caught them coming in and not in a flock so the ones behind were still looking for a place to feed.

TEH

Farmers tearing his hair out due to the amount of pigeons on his at the moment but i have yet to bag any sort of numbers.

Not seen so many pigeons in a couple of years but just cant get a good go at them due to them been flocked up and not 'flighting' in!

Early doors are what I am at the moment, as you mention there were birds feeding on the field and were all ready there.

I looked at 300 birds feeding on rape around 10 this morning; a couple of claps and off they went. Granted it was heaving down but I shot the other day and caught them coming in and not in a flock so the ones behind were still looking for a place to feed.

TEH

I have read the other posts about shooting at first light and I am sure that is the best time to go at this time of year. However I struggle to get out of bed early on a Saturday (and Sunday for that matter) so it is not an option.