Help on a walk out

born_2_kill

I have a bit of land to shoot on and would like some help with the best times of day and strategy to have a walk around, at the moment I'm lucky if I get half a dozen shots off within a couple of hours in the hope of hitting anything. I mainly shoot pigeons, rooks and rabbits/hares. These shots normally come from disturbing pigeons in the woodland trees, here is a description of the land - 2 large fields (rectangles) with private woodland at each end, the other 3 sides of each field consist of hedgerows and trees dividing up the neighbouring fields. This year the fields contained maze with have been harvested but not yet ploughed.

Edited by born_2_kill

You dont need to shoot to enjoy shooting! When things are quiet (and there could be a million reasons) you should be able to find plenty to do.Look in the woods for signs of roosting birds and consider building a hide nearby to ambush pigeons as they seek the warmth of the trees during winter.Ask the owners permission to put up nesting boxes for birds-make sure you use metal around the entrance hole or squirrels will chew thru and kill nestlings before taking over the box.Around the field edge you can clear pathways and remove the inevitable debris that hedges seem to collect.With a little input you can make a considerable difference to the habitat and it certainly sounds impressive if you mention it to potential new land owners.

You dont need to shoot to enjoy shooting! When things are quiet (and there could be a million reasons) you should be able to find plenty to do.Look in the woods for signs of roosting birds and consider building a hide nearby to ambush pigeons as they seek the warmth of the trees during winter.Ask the owners permission to put up nesting boxes for birds-make sure you use metal around the entrance hole or squirrels will chew thru and kill nestlings before taking over the box.Around the field edge you can clear pathways and remove the inevitable debris that hedges seem to collect.With a little input you can make a considerable difference to the habitat and it certainly sounds impressive if you mention it to potential new land owners.

with you on that one, sometimes its just nice to be out, even if your not shooting anything theres always something to see or do, whilst in the hide on the last outing a yellowhammer landed in the hedge about 5 feet from me.