Who has an 8 bore?

wildfowler.250

In all seriousness, how much is a double 8 in good nick cost? Is it a min of 2K job?

What are you guys shooting through it? ITM?

Very nice gun btw :good:

I paid that for a steel barrelled single 8 about 18 months 2 year ago you'd have to be looking at 5 or 6k for a decent double nowadays.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I paid that for a steel barrelled single 8 about 18 months 2 year ago you'd have to be looking at 5 or 6k for a decent double nowadays.

Probably more than that, folk with the good ones seem to want top brass for them, still plenty about if you start looking round but loads are shot out, would be nice to drop on one for a project if the barrels are good.see a few with replacement barrels all these guns have history some are over 150 years old.

Probably more than that, folk with the good ones seem to want top brass for them, still plenty about if you start looking round but loads are shot out, would be nice to drop on one for a project if the barrels are good.see a few with replacement barrels all these guns have history some are over 150 years old.

I get some chaps phoning me asking if I know of any on the market but they just don't seem to turn up anymore & I get chaps asking if I know of any tubes or other parts so desperate are they , if a really good old hammer gun with damascus barrels & nitro proofed turned up at auction in London I think you may be looking closer to 10k .

They are not cheep ! :sad1: .

I've wondered how much it'd cost to have a single 8 made up on. Quite alot from what i read online.

I did see one for sale that was similar to the greener 12 bores like this http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Shotgun/Greener-WW-GP-gun-for-sale-gs95776.aspx just in 8 bore. I wonder if they are simple enough you could make one up cheaper than a proper single 8.

I've wondered how much it'd cost to have a single 8 made up on. Quite alot from what i read online.

I did see one for sale that was similar to the greener 12 bores like this http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Shotgun/Greener-WW-GP-gun-for-sale-gs95776.aspx just in 8 bore. I wonder if they are simple enough you could make one up cheaper than a proper single 8.

There is a German Rifle maker if I remember who makes a type of Falling Block action but I don't know if the action would be wide enough for an 8bore round , the name Hagen rings a bell with me & I did see his actions advertised some where once ? , I am sure some one here on PW will know if its possible .

Check it out on the net .

ATB Pole Star

There is a German Rifle maker if I remember who makes a type of Falling Block action but I don't know if the action would be wide enough for an 8bore round , the name Hagen rings a bell with me & I did see his actions advertised some where once ? , I am sure some one here on PW will know if its possible .

Check it out on the net .

ATB Pole Star

I had been reading over on an american forum about some guys who were making falling block 8 bores and 4 bores, as well as some bolt action ones, but they were slug guns. I spose it just shows that it is possible to do if you can source the correct components and materials.

• 2 weeks later...

Just looked in the Shooting Times & saw a real rare item up for auction , a Greener 8 bore ejector not my cup of tea though at an estimate of £30,000 to £50,000 & it lacks those lovely big hammers & of course the old saying comes into mind , its like a spaniel with out ears ! .

But if its your thing then go for it ! ( its better than a pogo stick though ! :lol: )

Edited by Pole Star

Just looked in the Shooting Times & saw a real rare item up for auction , a Greener 8 bore ejector not my cup of tea though at an estimate of £30,000 to £50,000 & it lacks those lovely big hammers & of course the old saying comes into mind , its like a spaniel with out ears ! .

But if its your thing then go for it ! ( its better than a pogo stick though ! :lol: )

Good grief :lol:

This also looks a nice one http://www.guntrader.co.uk/mobile/gunDetail.php?NewGunID=121119175607000&skipNo=0&perPage=15&Filter%5BNewType%5D%5B%5D=Shotgun&Filter%5BNewMechanism%5D%5B%5D=Hammer&Filter%5BCalibre%5D%5B%5D=08+gauge&sortField=poa&sortOrder=asc

John forsey seems to have quite a few for sale but if his cartridge prices are anything to go by, I'm assuming they are overpriced..

Oh my, what a beautiful thing.

Tell me about it though. A very expensive way to kill geese though..

I have a double 8 by Boreham of Colchester 36inch steel barrels 3 3/4 chambers weighs just under 14 pounds, nitroproofed. I load 60 grains of bluedot and 2 1/4 ounces of ITM.

Nice gun! Dare I ask how much that itm is per shot? I think that's the biggest thing that would put me off using these old guns when I can put steel through a 10. It's not te same league though!

Dare I ask how much that itm is per shot?

I hate to think, I bought a lot of 3.5mm when the lead ban first came into force and am still using it, I also got a few pounds of Bismuth BB's and 3's but prefer ITM whilst it lasts.

I have a Gunmark Kestral 10, it is a beast of a thing I load 2 ounces of Bismuth and longshot powder for it and 2 1/4 ounces of lead and Longshot for my trips up North. I am past my alloted span so I am getting too old a bunny to lug the 8 about and the 10 weighs 10 3/4 pounds so I struggle with that.

Jim

post-65861-0-75932000-1378470713_thumb.jpg

Edited by auceps