Who has an 8 bore?

wildfowler.250

Makes you wonder where all these guns have been! they must have been stood in a corner when folk went to war in the 1st and 2nd world wars.

Thats true & its hard to get them to give up any secrets , a good start is if you know who they were made for or who owned then but it just dose not happen very often , except of course to the old established makers who still have the records , so they have a head start ! & when one of their guns comes in all they have to do is check the serial number against the registrar & hey presto the gun has a history ! ok for some !.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had my provenance back on my T Bland and sons single 4 bore, made in 1899, Bland are still trading in the the United States, cost £35 gave me the detail of the gun and it was made to order and finished in 1899, gave details of general dimensions, my mate has a Holland single 8 bore in its original box with a Navy officers name on the box, the provenance makes good reading he was serving in India when he ordered the gun.

Regards Rob.

Dare I ask how much that itm is per shot?

I have checked my diary and found I bought 12 kilo for £220 in 1999 as I am still using it that is £1.30 per pop for shot only, case, primer, powder and wads prob. add up to £2 a cartridge, The Bluedot load is very effective and patterns well out to 60 yards but you have to hold the gun straight and yes you know she has gone off.

Jim

Dare I ask how much that itm is per shot?

I have checked my diary and found I bought 12 kilo for £220 in 1999 as I am still using it that is £1.30 per pop for shot only, case, primer, powder and wads prob. add up to £2 a cartridge, The Bluedot load is very effective and patterns well out to 60 yards but you have to hold the gun straight and yes you know she has gone off.

Jim

Thanks Jim! Man alive that's getting expensive. Can imagine the itx has gone up a few bob since 99 as well!

60 grains of blue dot...sounds like a Mcdougal load,bet thats a bit pokey

Yes from his books although his was a lead load, cannot get 21/2 ounces of ITM into a 31/4 inch resized industrial case due to shot volume but it will fit into my 33/4 inch long brass cases. Recoil is not bad the gun is quite heavy and I only use the load for foreshore geese so not many shots fired per season. For your fingers and fillings sake dont shoot 60 grains of BD and 21/2 ounces of anything through those bored out tens.

Jim

Got a muzzle loading 4 bore that is BP proof god knows how old it is made by Wallas of Wigtown, I only load 31/2 ounces due to its age although its a true 4 bore 1.05 inches not 0.930 inches as most are.

I only loaded 31/2 ounces of shot and equal volume of powder or you can use the old rule of 1:5 powder and shot. Shot seven widgeon with one shot once, never meant to just swung in front of the pack as they wiffled down onto a flooded wash poor old dog was busy retrieving the three that were not stone dead. That was in the good old days when we could use lead, 31/2 ounces of lead 4's patterned well from a true cylinder gun at twenty five yards, happy days.

post-65861-0-58773900-1378649070_thumb.jpg

post-65861-0-08560500-1378649084_thumb.jpg

Edited by auceps

Interesting, I have a 30" barrelled, 2 1/2" chambered game gun stamped with Wallace of Wigton (Cumbria). It's actually a Westley Richards built in 1923. Your post is the only time that I have ever heard their name mentioned.

Got a muzzle loading 4 bore that is BP proof god knows how old it is made by Wallas of Wigtown, I only load 31/2 ounces due to its age although its a true 4 bore 1.05 inches not 0.930 inches as most are.

I only loaded 31/2 ounces of shot and equal volume of powder or you can use the old rule of 1:5 powder and shot. Shot seven widgeon with one shot once, never meant to just swung in front of the pack as they wiffled down onto a flooded wash poor old dog was busy retrieving the three that were not stone dead. That was in the good old days when we could use lead, 31/2 ounces of lead 4's patterned well from a true cylinder gun at twenty five yards, happy days.

Edited by Penelope

I'm sure mine has D.H. Wallace, Wigton on the rib.

A corruption of the original spelling perhaps, as I guess that 4 is a lot older than my game gun.

Just had a good look at the insciption on the top rib its, Irwin Wallas Wigton and Carlisle, I have never seen or heard of another gun by this maker, perhaps he had guns made for him and just sold them.

Jim

Just had a good look at the insciption on the top rib its, Irwin Wallas Wigton and Carlisle, I have never seen or heard of another gun by this maker, perhaps he had guns made for him and just sold them.

Jim

Irwin Wallas Wigton King St . 1854 - 1869 also listed as a game dealer

3 other by the name Wallas but not a DH

Edited by Pole Star

D.H. Wallas must be a relative, son, grandson??

Where did you find that info Pole Star as I have googled D.H. Wallace a few times with no results.

Just found some info when I changed the spelling to Wallas.

D.H. Wallas was in business between 1910 & 1928 when he went bankrupt, died age 53 in 1937.

Irwin Wallace Wigton King St . 1854 - 1869 also listed as a game dealer

Edited by Penelope

That's the spelling I have on mine. D.H. Wallace must be a relative, son, grandson??

Where did you find that info Pole Star as I have googled D.H. Wallace a few times with no results.

There is a Irwin Wallas , Richard Wallas 1847 -1851 Water st . Thomas Wallas Ludgate Lane 1827 Water St 1854

William Wallis Ludgate La 1827 , King St 1833-155

Gets a bit confusing ! eh !

English Gunmakers Arms & Armour Press ps still looking at other name

Edited by Pole Star

Daniel Hornsby Wallas was the son of William Wallas (one of a few Williams in the family).

Just googled D.H. Wallas instead of Wallace and found some useful info from the News&Star local paper.

I can't seem to be able to post the link.

auceps, I'll pm the link details.

Edited by Penelope