Chopper situation in Aberdeen .

Harnser

Things gone from bad to worse here as the fork lift driver at Bristows hit the hanger door and it fell on our tiger today. That will only add to the backlog and with no choppers this weekend could mean Thursday and Friday crewchages dont happen till next week. I'm due off Wednesday and hope it will be cleared by then.

Things gone from bad to worse here as the fork lift driver at Bristows hit the hanger door and it fell on our tiger today. That will only add to the backlog and with no choppers this weekend could mean Thursday and Friday crewchages dont happen till next week. I'm due off Wednesday and hope it will be cleared by then.

Do you work on Fort Boyard? :lookaround:

beered up, What rig are you on??? I'm looking to go back offshore in the new year had enough of never knowing when i'm going to be home.

i work on a jackup barge called the Irish sea pioneer as decksuperviser/chief mate its in Liverpool bay so we fly out of Blackpool on dauphin n3 helis so we arent effected by whats goin on up north :)

Edited by beeredup

i have just declined a job offer to go an work up there! i would rather stick to the short flights (15 minutes max) in brand new helis that i currently have and i also have access to a free car park at blackpool too be daft to moce up north and get mixed up in all whats goin on up there at the moment

Situation is all Eurocopter EC225 choppers are grounded worldwide for use over hazardous/hostile terrain (ie the sea). This includes some L1 & L2 models also. I think it puts the fleet down by around a third, although they are looking to retro fit older style gear boxes to the L2 MKII aircraft to get them running again.

The problem seems to be a vertical shaft in the gearbox. It was suspected that this was the fault with the Bond chopper that ditched earlier this year. Now after looking at the Scotia chopper the AAIB have identified a 360 degree crack on this shaft. the upshot of this is that all aircraft with this design gearbox have been grounded. As I understand it, this shaft runs a bevel gear that operates 2 lube pumps for the gearbox, a duty and a standby. Therefore when this shaft cracked it took out the duty and backup lube. There is a final emergency lube which sprays glycol into the gearbox and give a 30minute run-dry, I believe this also failed. I think the at this point regardless of whether the glycol worked or not a controlled ditching was inevitable.

Not very good reading is it!

Situation is all Eurocopter EC225 choppers are grounded worldwide for use over hazardous/hostile terrain (ie the sea). This includes some L1 & L2 models also. I think it puts the fleet down by around a third, although they are looking to retro fit older style gear boxes to the L2 MKII aircraft to get them running again.

The problem seems to be a vertical shaft in the gearbox. It was suspected that this was the fault with the Bond chopper that ditched earlier this year. Now after looking at the Scotia chopper the AAIB have identified a 360 degree crack on this shaft. the upshot of this is that all aircraft with this design gearbox have been grounded. As I understand it, this shaft runs a bevel gear that operates 2 lube pumps for the gearbox, a duty and a standby. Therefore when this shaft cracked it took out the duty and backup lube. There is a final emergency lube which sprays glycol into the gearbox and give a 30minute run-dry, I believe this also failed. I think the at this point regardless of whether the glycol worked or not a controlled ditching was inevitable.

Very interesting thank you . Harnser .

The emergency lube in the Bond heli that ditched in May had't actually failed but the pilots got a false indication due to a faulty sensor that it had failed which led into them making the decision to make a landing on water

The emergency lube in the Bond heli that ditched in May had't actually failed but the pilots got a false indication due to a faulty sensor that it had failed which led into them making the decision to make a landing on water

Sorry Beerdup I should have made myself clear. I was talking about the Scotia chopper, but you are quite correct about the Bond chopper.

http://www.aaib.gov....2012 G-CHCN.pdf

Edit grammer

Edited by Highlandladdie