Silver Pigeon 3

ziplex

I paid a visit to Avalon Guns today and had a look at various, I compared back to back the SP3 30" Sporter with the Miroku MK70 28" sporter.........I couldn't believe the difference in handling, the SP3 felt very steady and controlled whereas the Miroku felt vague in comparison, a game version of the same seemed almost uncontrolable to me, felt like waving a piece of balsa around! :yp: I use this model Miroku when I go pigeon shooting with a mate, after today's trial I think the SP3 will suit me much better as an all round gun. I'd been hankering after a White Onyx but after scrutinising I prefer the SP3 now, that's a lie actually, I prefer the SO6EEL gamescene but that's bordering on obscene money for a gun............very nice tho' :lol:

I have to say the guys down there are not atall pushy and very helpful by the way.

they are very different guns, mainly in fit.

You cannot really compare them as the fit is so different (which is what you should be buying for) ballence can be achived through barrel selection etc... However fit is a slightly more problematic area to solve.

The mk70 even hte game version is renound for alot of drop (which as it happens suits me) where as the berettas in general tend to have less drop.

However browning/miroku's/ winchesters all have alot of weight in the end of the barrels (if they are invectors) and the action (as its a big old lump). Berettas on the other hand tend to be quite a slender action, hense they feel a bit more pointy. But put some longer barrels on a beretta and a trap forend and you have a heavy old lump again. But the same way you pick up a Mk60 with 28" game barrels and it will be very pointy.

My point is that you can adjust (through which model you choose) a gun to ballence properly once you have found one which fits well.

Thanks Nick, we've had a similar discussion on this before I think, whilst a little difficult to understand it becomes obvious in the shop when shouldering different guns in different lengths/weights etc. The Beretta with a 30" barrel/sporter seemed to suit me well but it's hard to explain, (for me anyway in techie terms)!

The game gun felt wildly wrong for me, but again apart from being 28" and obviously light it was hard to know why. I don't think I could shoot it very well to be honest, it seemed way too lively.

If the gun feels right you are halfway there.

Game guns are normally light and fast moving whereas sporters are normally a bit heavier as youdon't carry them around all day and they need to soak up some recoil.

You will never shoot well with a gun that you are not happy with.

The white onxy in sporter 30" trim is a lovelly gun, been living with it for 5 months and I am just getting better and better with it.

Not the greatest bit of wood in the world but its a gun that gets used all the time in the field and everywhere else, I couldn't justify ruining something nicer.

I bought my SP3 from Avalon two years ago, I love it so much I use it as a screen name Pigeon 03.

They say that there are two kinds of people........Beretta people and Browning People if you're a Beretta person you'll never shoot your best with a Browning and vice versa. It may be true or not but I couldn't hit a cows a## at 10 yards with the 325 I used to have :yp:

Will they let you put 25 through the barrels before you buy Zipplex?

LB

I reckon they would LB, they're a pretty decent bunch........once licence finalised i'll be out with every intention of not returning home unless I have a gun sorted. If they have nil stock at the time or they're not accomodating i'll travel up to Ladds of Crediton or Mendip's. Mark my words,.......... I will leave one morning 'one of them' and return 'one of us'! :yp: :lol:

Will they let you put 25 through the barrels before you buy Zipplex?

LB

Most guns shops that allow to try, won't let you do that with a new gun (Minsterley springs to mind) for the simple reason if you don't get on with it, and don't decide to buy they are left with what is essentally a secondhand gun.

PO3 is spot on, of the people I shoot with about half ar Beretta shooters and the others Browning shooters and no one can seem to get on with anyone else gun swapping Browning/Beretta or vise versa.

They are just different.

Hi

At the present time i am using a Miroku 7000 M/C 28", I get on OK with it, but I am looking at saving my pennies to purchase a Silver Pigeon 3 30" M/C they are £1390 New over at Litts, Newport.

To be honest they feel and fitted a treat, was offered £500 for my 7000 and £300 for my Miroku 3700 fixed choke 1/4 and 1/2 26" as trade in, so i have a few pennies to save, but i think it will be well worth it.

Plus the SP3 should hold its price better over the years.

Spaniel

Hi

At the present time i am using a Miroku 7000 M/C 28", I get on OK with it, but I am looking at saving my pennies to purchase a Silver Pigeon 3 30" M/C they are £1390 New over at Litts, Newport.

To be honest they feel and fitted a treat, was offered £500 for my 7000 and £300 for my Miroku 3700 fixed choke 1/4 and 1/2 26" as trade in, so i have a few pennies to save, but i think it will be well worth it.

Plus the SP3 should hold its price better over the years.

Spaniel

£1319 at Ladds of Crediton if it helps................www.laddsguns.com, i've been told they give good trade in terms. What about Avalon Guns?, Clive will always do a good deal for you.

Martin, the SP3 feels just right and looks good too so i'm nearly there I think!..........

Pin, I am right in saying the White Onyx and SP3, (with 30" barrels), are the same gun/different cosmetics, aren't I? Felt very similar to me anyhow.

I think they have the same barrels, receiver / ejectors but the wood varies as does the length of the stock, obviously the sp3 is a much more figured gun in terms of engraving etc - I don't hold much truck with all that engraving, I prefer the plain of the Onyx. :good: Just so people get an idea I think the F3 is a cracking looking gun, if I could justify the price I would have one tomorrow :lol:

Martin, the SP3 feels just right and looks good too so i'm nearly there I think!..........

Pin, I am right in saying the White Onyx and SP3, (with 30" barrels), are the same gun/different cosmetics, aren't I? Felt very similar to me anyhow.

I think they have the same barrels, receiver / ejectors but the wood varies as does the length of the stock, obviously the sp3 is a much more figured gun in terms of engraving etc - I don't hold much truck with all that engraving, I prefer the plain of the Onyx. :lol: Just so people get an idea I think the F3 is a cracking looking gun, if I could justify the price I would have one tomorrow :P

Interesting re: stock length.......I must admit the guns felt very similar to me, you are dealing with a greenhorn here don't forget :good: , but that's something i'll try and 'feel' next time I shoulder them, before I decide on me purchase. Thanks pin :lol: , hopefully though i'll be able to shoot both if they have demo models, perhaps the stock length may be more evident then.

Interesting re: stock length.......I must admit the guns felt very similar to me, you are dealing with a greenhorn here don't forget :good: , but that's something i'll try and 'feel' next time I shoulder them, before I decide on me purchase. Thanks pin :lol: , hopefully though i'll be able to shoot both if they have demo models, perhaps the stock length may be more evident then.

If you are ever down this way then you are more than welcome to test the Onyx as much as you like .

If you are ever down this way then you are more than welcome to test the Onyx as much as you like .

You're a good man pin, if I ever get the chance to make it over i'll nip into B&Q first and buy you a pack of cup hooks for your belt! :P:lol: