Travel Insurance claim.

Cranfield

I mentioned a few weeks ago, that my expensive varifocals disappeared over the side of the boat, about 2 miles into the Atlantic Ocean off Co Mayo, during my recent trip there.

I have a Travel Insurance policy through my Bank with Fortis Services (part of Alliance & Leicester).

So, I made a claim, filled in the forms sent a receipt for the £403 the glasses cost , etc.

I received a letter from them this morning, "As it would seem the matter was not reported to the police and/or a report obtained, we regret we shall be unable to accept your claim on this occasion".

I telephoned them and explained that in the circumstances, there was no point in reporting it to the police.

If I had lost the glasses on land, I would have done so, hoping they would be found and handed to the police.

The 12 year old girl I spoke to hesitated for about 2 seconds and then said that in the circumstances, they would honour my claim in full.

All of the "circumstances" I had mentioned were carefully detailed in my claim form.

Why does it take my telephone call to get the claim paid ?

I wonder how many people would have received that letter and accepted the decision.

What a devious shower these people are. :good::lol:

I mentioned a few weeks ago, that my expensive varifocals disappeared over the side of the boat, about 2 miles into the Atlantic Ocean off Co Mayo, during my recent trip there.

I have a Travel Insurance policy through my Bank with Fortis Services (part of Alliance & Leicester).

So, I made a claim, filled in the forms sent a receipt for the £403 the glasses cost , etc.

I received a letter from the this morning, "As it would seem the matter was not reported to the police and/or a report obtained, we regret we shall be unable to accept your claim on this occasion".

I telephoned them and explained that in the circumstances, there was no point in reporting it to the police.

If I had lost the glasses on land, I would have done so, hoping they would be found and handed to the police.

The 12 year old girl I spoke to hesitated for about 2 seconds and then said that in the circumstances, they would honour my claim in full.

All of the "circumstances" I had mentioned were carefully detailed in my claim form.

Why does it take my telephone call to get the claim paid.

I wonder how many people would have received that letter and accepted the decision.

What a devious shower these people are. :good::lol:

Thats how the system works Cranfield. Surely you must know that ?A 32 pence stamp and a pathetic written letter to tell you that your claim is invalid is surely better than paying out £403. Standard Procedure

Wonder have many middle aged muppets they catch out everyday with a generic letter ?

Jonno

Strangely enough I had problems with getting a motor claim sorted and the firm kept sending letters to an address that were returned as "Not known at this address".They had the other persons mobile number but hadn`t phoned her,so I did..........within an hour they phoned to say they had admitted liability.

This has taken since FEBRUARY :good: Hope to have it mended next week!

During a recent camping trip one of the couples we went with went into the back of our car at a roundabout. The girl who was driving reported the accident to her insurance company within an hour and accepted full responsibility that was on friday afternoon, When we got home on the monday she came to our house with all her details for us to report it our end, when we rang her insurance up they had no details of the crash and tried to deny that it ever happened and she was sitting next to me :lol::lol: they'll try anything

Glad you got it sorted cranfield :good:

Going on holiday to China supposed to fly KLM via Amsterdam,

go to check in, and told we not on flight, check with customer service

Check with them and we are told we are going instead via paris, on a differant flight 2 hours later

we leave it like that

Get in Paris, have to re-check in, (they wouldn't let us book through in heathrow)

and are told the flight is full. I lost my rag, (all you have to do is start raising your voice and not be ashamed when people start looking, cause that's when the little miracles start working.

Got on the plane, but all 5 of us where scattered all over the plane, including the 3 kids. Eventually we where put together after some more noise.

Nice holiday, got back, tried to phone who we dealt with, and some arrogant woman who could hardley speak english tried putting me on hold for 25 mins. I thought sod this, I'm not taking their **** again. Sent them a nice little email that I was now taking legal advice especially after the arrogant service. 20 minutes later got an email from them, and 2 hours an email from KLM with full refunded flight tokens, or cash for 75% of the value.

If I pay for somthing, I expect what I pay for, not for my family to get messed around because they overbooked.

The cheque for £378 (£25 excess deducted) arrived this morning. :D

You could almost imagine someone saying, "Here is the cheque, if he rings and complains post it, if he doesn't tear it up". :P

The "icing on the cake" of this little story is, that my replacement glasses only cost £220, so I feel as though I have made a profit. :P

Don't get me started on insurance companies!!!! :D:P Two instances of many spring to mind:-

Somone nicked my XR3i (so it was a few years bacl :P) but i managed to get it recovered by the police - registered the crime, only for the insurance company to come back and tell me this car had been written off before and only offered me a paltry sum which i had to accept as i know a lot of people who got nothing in this scenario. However the best was yet to happen - about a year later i gets a call from a guy who had bought the same car from an auction - my name was still the last owner and he had loads of problems with it cause of the damage caused by the thiefs when they took it!!! The insurance co had sold it on without even changing the owners details the ********* - i never insured with them again - FYI they are well known and Norfolk based!!!

Second time i left my coat with mobile in a cloak room and forgot it - so went back next day - retreived coat but no phone. Reported it and contacted insurance co - no pay out its a public place!!!! -*** this cloak room was not public it was behind a counter with staff etc so no-one could get in unless they worked there - seemed to me the only place you could lose your phone and get a pay out is ya flaming sitting room!!!!!! - So i take me chances now (on the phone anyway lol) and don't bother

In my view they are the biggest rip off merchants around - ts a legalised con as far as i am concerned.

end of rant

Insurance companies make me sick.

After my last back operation in Jan 2005, several insurance companies that were in place to cover my mortgage, my bank loan and my credit card refused to pay out.

The reason?

They stated that I had had a previous operation on my back in 1997, and had visited my GP in February 2004 with symptoms of backache. They therefore assumed that my condition was pre-existing.

What a bunch of tossers.

In all, six months off work with no pay and having to keep up payments on the three aforementioned things cost me around £20,000.

Makes my blood boil.

Rob.