To all members in Gwynedd, Wales

worthy130

Just to make you all aware that the North Wales police will be doing spot checks on gun cabinates in Gwynedd from Monday 3rd December. Just remember it is well within your right to refuse them access if they have no warrent!

why would you want them to have to come back with a warrant

Just to make you all aware that the North Wales police will be doing spot checks on gun cabinates in Gwynedd from Monday 3rd December. Just remember it is well within your right to refuse them access if they have no warrent!

I think you'll find it depends on why they are checking. What is this obsession with warrants?!

I think its just trying to be objectionable to the establishment and pointless. It just highlights you may well have something to hide if you have nothing to hide why make their life difficult.

Not quite, it's more a case of objecting to a police force making up their own rules that go against Home Office guidelines and harassing law abiding shooters yet again.

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/media/pressreleases.cfm/prid/7E4E7647-F411-4314-B284D5FBB1AEE740

The police have no right to do spot checks on licence holders. BASC are actually advising you refuse entry! if they want to waste police time by doing spot checks, then they can waste a liitle more by having to come out again with a warrent! I do not whine about my local FLD!

I didn't narrow it to your FLD. No-one said there was a right/power for just checking the cabinet/guns. Why would you object to it though? Driving from the office to houses is what they do every day. Hardly a huge drain on resources to fit you in. Getting a warrant on the other hand is very time consuming. Better hope it is just a spot check or your attitude might find you in a sticky situation.

Not quite, it's more a case of objecting to a police force making up their own rules that go against Home Office guidelines and harassing law abiding shooters yet again.

http://www.basc.org....284D5FBB1AEE740

Where does it say in the HO guidance that police SHOULD NOT check the security arrangements of certificate holders?

TOPDOWN, This Post was to warn people in Gwynedd about spot checks, just to prompt them that if they are out shooting on Sunday night late, to lock up their guns rather than waiting till morning to clean them before putting them away etc! as all you seem to want to do is winge and complain (i have better things to do) I will now ignor your posts on this thread ( and I suggest as you live no-where near Gwynedd you should also) and go and do something else.

Where does it say in the HO guidance that police SHOULD NOT check the security arrangements of certificate holders?

Try reading it !!!!.. it does not say that police should not check security arrangements , what it does say is they must contact you first to make arrangements to do so, not turn up unannounced

Edited by Davy Holt

It does not. but it does say

3) The spot checks go against Home Office guidance, which states that home visits should be arranged by prior appointment at a mutually convenient time.

TOPDOWN, This Post was to warn people in Gwynedd about spot checks, just to prompt them that if they are out shooting on Sunday night late, to lock up their guns rather than waiting till morning to clean them before putting them away etc! as all you seem to want to do is winge and complain (i have better things to do) I will now ignor your posts on this thread ( and I suggest as you live no-where near Gwynedd you should also) and go and do something else.

Not what your original post said though was it?

Try reading it !!!!.. it does not say that police should not check security arrangements , what it does say is they must contact you first to make arrangements to do so, not turn up unannounced

I'll invite you to take your own advice. It says "Visits should, wherever possible, be made by prior appointment and take place at a mutually convenient time". Even if it didn't say that I'm not sure that visiting to ensure safe storage would be a worthwhile exercise if you phone ahead?

It does not. but it does say

3) The spot checks go against Home Office guidance, which states that home visits should be arranged by prior appointment at a mutually convenient time.

It missed out a part of the paragraph though. Which I have just posted. The BASC line on this is way off.

1. Makes no sense unless they announce with a loud hailer why they are there.

2. No-one said they did but this is not a reason for objection to it.

3. We have already discussed.

Still no word on why you object so strongly. Interesting that you should need to prompt people in your area not to leave their guns out overnight! Co-incidence?

I'll invite you to take your own advice. It says "Visits should, wherever possible, be made by prior appointment and take place at a mutually convenient time".

Splitting hairs now are we not .

Even if it didn't say that I'm not sure that visiting to ensure safe storage would be a worthwhile exercise if you phone ahead?

Sorry but thats your oppinion and counts for nothing... the only one that matters is the one of the Home office.

Splitting hairs now are we not

Not really, It was the basis of your argument.

Sorry but thats your oppinion and counts for nothing... the only one that matters is the one of the Home office

I'm not sure the Home Office have a published opinion on the bleeding obvious.

I wonder if a warrant is obtained, would the door get taken off at 5 in the morning? :D

No fear. That would involve paying overtime. :innocent:

Do many Gwynedd shooters spend Monday hanging around at home waiting for plod to arrive unannounced ? Wonder if this is due to a new PCC as north Wales police cover all of north Wales not just Gwynedd don't see how it would be just Gwynedd unless there is one FLO for the county who is doing some spot checks ???

It seems a very strange pilot to run. Would be bizarre to routinely task someone to it. Can't find anything on NWP's website to say why either. Could well be a PCC bringing in some "ideas". The FEO's normally have a territory but if BASC have it right it would involve uniformed officers as well.