series 3

fox hunter

if you have the right size steering wheel, and your steering box is working properly, correct tyre pressures, you shouldnt need power steering !

I completely agree. I've had plenty of Series trucks and i've never found the need for power steering. Contrary to popular belief the steering is not heavy if it is properly adjusted, the relay is good and the ball joints good. What you must do though is drive in the "old fashioned way" that people have forgotten now that all cars have power steering, that is; get your wheels rotating (even v.v.slowly) whilst you move the steering wheel.

Having said that. if you really, really must fit power steering then you are in for quite a job. the way i've seen it done most is for the steering box and chassis brackets to be harvested from a donor together with the PS pump, reservoir, steering column and brackets. Old RR's were usually favourite. Conversions are well documented on the Land Rover forums.

The other, simpler yet raving expensive way was for a powered ram to be fitted to the drag link. Chris Perfect Components used to do a kit, but he went out of business years ago.

Found a supplier of kits HERE. Paul Heystee is a Dutch gentleman, well known for previously developing and selling the T.I Console Parabolic Springs.

Edited by 86inch

I drive a few landrover defenders with power streering and one SIII without. Don't really see the point either in power steering on the old series.

We use the series mainly for lamping, so do a lot of turning. I find the steering on the series not particularly heavy.

I know of a friend who fitted powersteering from an old rangerover -big, big job... An other mate has got electric power assisted steering fitted, but this was very expensive -about 1100 pounds. Works oké though.

I can not say much about land rovers as I have not had one but I found that with older cars/trucks in general with no power steering when they was moving above 10 mph it was not a problem but parking or driving in confined spaces could be very hard on the arms not having super human strength unlike some people .

I had a 1984 ford capri 2ltr with no p/s and wide wheels off a 2.8 and that was so nice to drive but parking it was hard work to say the least.

Edited by four-wheel-drive