Small problem

WelshAndy

Hi all, my 8 month old lab is coming on great with his training. The only problem (so far) is when he meets people he jumps up. I always make sure that he sits first then let the person stroke - say hello, but after a few seconds of stroking he gets a bit exciting and jumps up.

Is there anything I can teach him or is it something he will grow out of?

Cheers

Andy

Hi all, my 8 month old lab is coming on great with his training. The only problem (so far) is when he meets people he jumps up. I always make sure that he sits first then let the person stroke - say hello, but after a few seconds of stroking he gets a bit exciting and jumps up.

Is there anything I can teach him or is it something he will grow out of?

Cheers

Andy

dont let other pepole stroke your dog. i know it sounds harsh but i want my dog to come back to me not go for a fuss with someone else. they all so dont wonder off as much if you dont let others fuss them.

just my take on it

colin

dont let other pepole stroke your dog. i know it sounds harsh but i want my dog to come back to me not go for a fuss with someone else. they all so dont wonder off as much if you dont let others fuss them.

just my take on it

colin

like this if posible- but many stragers ignoor the request or make sly underhand comments to "please ignoor the dog" so if its off leash recall it the second it makes the approach and keep it at heel. I allow my dogs to jump up at me etc because i feel it encourages confidence on delivery and getting into a hole with you etc. but they learn quick not to do the same to others even within the family

My problem isn't him running off to greet people, his recall is spot on. It's when he's on his leash and I stop to let people past on a footpath. They always want to make a fuss, which I don't mind I just want him to sit politely and let them pat his head.

Kent I to like to encourage him to jump up on me with a retrieve, i was worried this is why he did it.

I to like to encourage him to jump up on me with a retrieve, i was worried this is why he did it.

To an extent it is why he does it but at 8 months he is still very much a puppy, you have to be consistent in your approach and he won't distinguish between jumping up at you and anyone else it needs to be a strict no at either occasion, as you can see when he gets excited he forgets what he is meant to do so it will get better.

What you can guarantee is out for walks it will be the idiot wearing white that they will jump up at

My dogs jump up at me but I don't let them jump up at other people. Regardless of who it is if my dogs jump up at anyone they get a sharp ear pull (which is usually followed by a yelp from the dog) and a NO/Arggh from me. Yes I've had some funny looks from passers by who want to stroke my dog, they look at me like I'm the meanest most unfriendly person they ever met but I'm not bothered. I'd be more upset if my dogs hurt a child as a result of their jumping up to greet.

Edited by lee-kinsman