One for the electricians

poorpeet

I want to install low voltage down lights & saw some warm white SMD led gu10 lamps that seemed to give a broad spread of nice light.

The room (kitchen) is approx 13'x17'. Is there as way of calculating how many of these will be required to light the space effectively asnd what the sbest spec will be?

Any advice will be appreciated

well there are several software packages that will do this for you (simulate lux level) not sure of a free one Kitchens tend to need a lot of light, so i would over rather than under spec them.

Go for 2800K or lower for "warm"

Edited by HDAV

hi mate low voltage lights are normally mr16 12v bulbs. gu10's are normally 240v.( all led are 12v but the install would be diffrent for gu10 and mr16) if your going led i would recomend gu10's as there is no need for transformers like a low voltage circuit and when you move you can change the bulbs to 240v as led are not cheap!. led gu10's have a transfourmer buitl in to the bulb instead of in line , i would go for a warm white at about 5watt gu10 led (led 5w = to a 50w halagon bulb) the amount of lights depend of the size and the need for light i.e sink, work tops. your best bet is about 1.5m spread. i have 5 x 5w led gu10's in my kitchen witch is about 4m x 4m thats not a bad spread of light ... if you are thinking of dimming the lights you will be paying almost twice as much for a led bulb.

hope that helps anything else just ask :good:

hi mate low voltage lights are normally mr16 12v bulbs. gu10's are normally 240v.( all led are 12v but the install would be diffrent for gu10 and mr16) if your going led i would recomend gu10's as there is no need for transformers like a low voltage circuit and when you move you can change the bulbs to 240v as led are not cheap!. led gu10's have a transfourmer buitl in to the bulb instead of in line , i would go for a warm white at about 5watt gu10 led (led 5w = to a 50w halagon bulb) the amount of lights depend of the size and the need for light i.e sink, work tops. your best bet is about 1.5m spread. i have 5 x 5w led gu10's in my kitchen witch is about 4m x 4m thats not a bad spread of light ... if you are thinking of dimming the lights you will be paying almost twice as much for a led bulb.

hope that helps anything else just ask :good:

sorry for hijacking thread but I have gu10s in my kitchen and have never spent so much replacing bulbs so often, doesnt matter if I buy **** cheap bulbs or GEs best result is the same........any suggestions as to poss cause ?

I have a gu10 install in my home office and the bathroom. The office gets more use and the lights are on pretty much 3 full days a week, circa 12hrs each day. The same bulbs have been installed for around 2 years, so that's roughly 1,900 hours. How long are they lasting in the install you mention? Does the constant switching damage them?

sorry for hijacking thread but I have gu10s in my kitchen and have never spent so much replacing bulbs so often, doesnt matter if I buy **** cheap bulbs or GEs best result is the same........any suggestions as to poss cause ?

It could b the bulbs are over heating, led would benefit you they operate at about 30*c halagon lights are about 100*c. At about £10-£15 per led gu10 that is expensive but they use less energy and last around 20,000 hours if you get them from a reputable dealer they will give you a 3-5 year guarantee.

I have a gu10 install in my home office and the bathroom. The office gets more use and the lights are on pretty much 3 full days a week, circa 12hrs each day. The same bulbs have been installed for around 2 years, so that's roughly 1,900 hours. How long are they lasting in the install you mention? Does the constant switching damage them?

Led gu10 Around 20,000 hours, 1 5watt gu10 gives out the same light output as a 50w halogen gu10. So it costs the same to run 5 led bulbs as 1 halogen. Because the bulb doset have to warm up to work like a halogen switching is not an issue

It could b the bulbs are over heating, led would benefit you they operate at about 30*c halagon lights are about 100*c. At about £10-£15 per led gu10 that is expensive but they use less energy and last around 20,000 hours if you get them from a reputable dealer they will give you a 3-5 year guarantee.

Cheers will try the LEDs..........

Yeah like I say not cheap I think they're about £25 each for dimmable but worth it compared to others I've used. And best colour, white or cool white looks too clinical like an office.

Yeah I find it depends on the room. I would go for a brighter white if it was the kitchen.