Finally got my new stove blazing

BangBangNik

Well as said in one of my previous posts, I've wanted one for years. Finally got it burning on Tuesday and its barely been off since. Me, the wife and hound all love it. Never seen the dog so sleepy, even if he was terrified of it for the first day and a half!

Went for the esse 100 as we both liked it and they are made in the next town to me(keep it local and all that.) soon realised that we won't be running it solely of wood as first expected as it fairly chews throu it and as I'm buying it at the min, so pretty expensive! Hopefully next season I will have had the time to collect, prepare and season some free stuff.

Still playing around with it at the mo but having good success with excel smokeless fuel and throwing the logs on when we really want to ramp the heat up.

Just wish I could stop playing with the airflow controls. Getting abit of an obsession!

If you can get the airflow controls set up right it should chew through a bit less wood? I open my chimney valve while I light it, then when it's burning well I shut the stove doors, close down the chimney a bit, open the top vents on the stove and open the bottom vents a wee bit. Once it's settled down a bit I close the bottom vents and close the chimney vent a wee bit more. It then burns nice and hot and doesn't spit too much heat out of the chimney.

Having said that, feeding it and tweaking the controls is all part of the fun!

We've got one in the cottage we are renting out here in France. We get two loads of wood per 6 months in lieu of paying the rent up front. At the moment we are burning wood cut from oak beams and chestnut floorboards taken from a 400 year old chateau. It is what you would call 'seasoned'.

Loading it up and playing with it is half the fun, although I'm not sure the wife agrees. Think I'm going to have to get one of the stove too thermometers to take the guess work out of it. At the minute I'm happy to leave it aslong as the insides are gettin sutted up. So far when burning wood I have been leaving the bottom control open a tad as there is usually some smokeless left in there aswell. According to the instructions this keeps abit of cool air running through the grate and stops it burning out. If I was burning only wood I'd keep this closed.

We've got one in the cottage we are renting out here in France. We get two loads of wood per 6 months in lieu of paying the rent up front. At the moment we are burning wood cut from oak beams and chestnut floorboards taken from a 400 year old chateau. It is what you would call 'seasoned'.

If you watch the reclaimer programes on History Channel (Seeking Salvage) what you are burning would keep you going in firewood for a lifetime :lol: :lol: :lol: