Lofting pigeon decoys

Royboy

Lofting is always difficult :yes: yes it can pull the birds in and turn a okay day into a good day,but its a pain to get the birds lofted,and even a bigger pain to retrieve the birds at the end of the day,how high do you need to loft your deeks? most pole sets only go to 30ft ish,apart from climbing the tree I don't see how you would get them much higher :hmm: they only need to be high enough to get the birds in the area to spot them imho :good: BB

Last year I made some out of aluminum tubing that went to about 40ft but after a couple of deeks were put up the poles kinked with the weight. My uncle made some years ago out of scaffolding poles and people wonderd how he got the deeks so high but I don't know how he did it because the weight of these things was was unreal ! Took great skill to get them up !!

the point of lofting birds is to ,fool the pigeons into believing there is food about or other birds they can get friendly with, the pigeons will get so used to these dummies hanging about they will very quickly pay them no attention and have little or no pulling power,as for getting your deeks on the top of the trees forget it 40ft will see you able to look to the horizon in every direction ,if a pigeon can't see your deeks at 40ft he ain't worth shooting as it's not sporting to shoot blind birds .

Well my My uncle has been shooting 40 years and when pigeon shooting threw Febuary he would leave the decoys in the trees for the whole month with great success. I leave mine up every year threw Feb with great success and will continue to do so. Maybe the pigeons are a bit thicker round my end !

Well my My uncle has been shooting 40 years and when pigeon shooting threw Febuary he would leave the decoys in the trees for the whole month with great success. I leave mine up every year threw Feb with great success and will continue to do so. Maybe the pigeons are a bit thicker round my end !

THREW ? the pigeons have company !

Hello

I'm due to go roosting this feb and the wood has all tall trees too high for poles, the chap organising gave a tip.

use an old fishing rod and line, cast a weight over the branches and pull the decoys up, lower down at the end of the day for next time.

Sounds Easier than poles.

Edited by terrior

• 2 weeks later...

I have done it before by using a catty with line attached to a fishing Weight shoot it over a ranch up high in the tree then pulling the decs up and resting them on a lower branch.

not the easiest of jobs though lol

Edited by Amazed