Lofting pigeon decoys

Royboy

ive heard of ppl using the catty b4. i think ill have to use that way aswell best get my old fishing catty out and some decent weights.

Watch your thumb ;) owwww that hurts. I use a black widow as with a line attached it takes some welly to get it up say 60 ft. I use 15 lb fishing line.

If you put a mat on the floor and wind some line off first then stand behind the mat and aim for an ark over the branch. Watch for the wind aswel . I would practice a few times befor you go out for the day ;)

Have fun lol

ok cheers for that mate ill have to give it a try with the catty i think. if i could get 1 up it would be better than non at all

As I say I made a cross with a decoy at each end. Pulled the cross into thicker part of branches to stop it spinning around and it worked a treat. 4 decoys up in quarter of the time !!

As I say I made a cross with a decoy at each end. Pulled the cross into thicker part of branches to stop it spinning around and it worked a treat. 4 decoys up in quarter of the time !!

Nice idea be a bit more stable in the wind aswell. May have to up the line lb to 25 though ;)

Thanks Karl.

When you say cheap for a fishing pole how much are u talking mate. Ive just looked on the bay and there £90 plus

You need to look for a damaged pole (sections) as no good for fishing but a bit of gaf tape makes it good for lofting.If its a cheap pole like leeda or thompson youl find people will just flog the whole pole rather than chew on locating a new section. I got a Maver 14mtr for 40 quid of the local more money than sense chap at the local fishery(was fishing next to him when he stood on a middle section.Out of embarrasment he souted he'll just buy a new one, so i offered him £40 & he took it.

Edited by Davyo

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I'm due to go roosting this feb and the wood has all tall trees too high for poles, the chap organising gave a tip.

use an old fishing rod and line, cast a weight over the branches and pull the decoys up, lower down at the end of the day for next time.

Sounds Easier than poles.

I do the same but it's better if you use braid as it's doesnt shine like fishing line.

I have used a fishing rod for years.

You need to get an old cheap 6 foot rod with a fishing reel that you can take the spools off easily. You'll need to get more spools for it.

use braid it's strong and doesn't shine.

cut the rod eyes with pliers so when you cast your weight over the tree you can reel in with your decoy clipped on the end. then take the spool off and pull the braid through the cuts in the eyes and put the spool on the floor.

start again.

you can put 6 decoys in 10 minutes

Cheers and good luck. :-)

You can really put them high up.

Edited by David 686

I used to use a catty for lofting full bodied decoys years ago .

Set up was a catty of reasonable strength, a fixed spool fishing reel loaded with 15 lbs line, a 1 or 1.5 ounce fishing ball lead, a short piece if tube, dowel or stick about 2 foot.

The fixed spool reel was taped or tie wrapped to the top of the tube or dowel spool uppermost , ball lead tied to the line , push the reel stick into the ground at an angle towards the tree, stand with the reel in front of you (not behind less you want to lose an ear)

Load the ball and line through the front of the catty and fire where wanted with the reel bail arm off.

Find the ball lead and line and temporarily tie off .

If the decoys have an eyelet on the back (if not a small curtain eyelet can be screwed in to the decoy) pass the looped line through the eyelet and put the loop over the decoys head to the neck to keep it in place, space out 2 to 3 full bodied decoys in the same manor.

Do not worry about sitting the decoys on a branch if too difficult, find some small branch's and wedge in the hole on the underside of the decoy to look as though the decoy is sitting on it.

Haul the decoys by the lead end of the line and tie of at the height wanted.

Return to the reel end and pull the line taught , jiggling the line to set the decoys into the wind and looking respectable, tie the line off.

Respectably easy when used to it and a good use for the old fishing reel and catty stuck in the shed drawer, cost is low and birds can be lofted solo, cant quite say the same for my lofting poles in the wind more like a circus act and a good way to get a strained muscle.

Sound good. Lofting poles are good if you only want to put your birds 15 feet up.

Any higher get your ROD out. Lol :-)

Poles normally come in 5ft lengths 5 per set :yes: so that gives you 25ft, then add your height on, so even a 5ft dwarf should be able to get the deeks 28/30ft into the trees :lol: :lol: BB