Gun cleaning- annual service?

Spud dog

Being shooting for about 12 months, just wondered if I should be taking gun to be serviced (is that right terminology?)

Shot about 2500 carts through now 3 yr old miroku make 38.

Do I take it back to gun shop where I bought it?

Any guidance much appreciated

Cheers spud dog

Just had my silver pig serviced and it cost £66 Which i thought was a bit steep for just a clean basically.

£66 is a steal. Just imagine if you had not had it done and you were standing on the drive or pigeon flight of a lifetime and the gun went wrong. Mine go in every year but never at the same time for obvious reasons.

In forty five years of shooting only on one occasion has a gun let me down and that was when a cartridge jumped inside the ejectors. I could neither get the cartridge out nor close the gun.

I opened up my browning 325 a year ago, fired approx 60,000 between 1996 and 1999 and 2000 shells since , the internal action was spotless - not 1 bit of rust or gunk, I was impressed. I'm really disciplined about cleaning though, clean after every single shoot and use good quality cleaner. I've never had it serviced. I think personaly unless it was new and needed service for warrenty I would prob only get done every 3-4 years if you want it serviced at your levels of use, more if you start heavily using it.

Edited by altnipper

Personally unless there are issues wait till a spring or similar goes wrong and most will replace the part and do a strip and clean at the same time..... The cost will be similar as the cleaning takes little time once all stripped its the reassembling that takes the time.....