Roe deer where have they gone?

similar around here. I think because it has been so wet on the lower land that most of mine are in the woods still, plus because its no cold yet that the woods are staying warm so the deer are not coming out in the mornings to warm up like we are use to seeing, just my thoughts and possibly off the ball a little.

I know what your saying about the text books ha ha

I don't have a trail cam but I have been looking for slots in the usual hot spots and am just not finding them!

Even when I am driving locally the usual places I see them they just aren't there!

I might just have been unlucky?

Its not just the Roe, I think all this wet has moved the Fallow into differant locations, along with the total lack of acorns and beechmast in the autumn. The local butcher is paying more money now for venison to try and get some in. Fallow are easier to predict when coming out to feed on a patch, in woodland it can be hard work, a fallow standing perfectly still is a darn lot harder to spot in woodland than one moving out to feed. As for roe, I think the only ones I have seen in woodland are those bounding out of sight.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

given up with the Roe at the moment. i have been out to many times and found nothing, i have even been out at night looking to try and work out what their up to but not seeing them. Im thinking that one other reason is that there is no crop on the lands i shoot as its been to wet so the Roe are in the woods.

I have just started to get the fallow back after they cleared off to the hills and woods. I hate Fallow as their to bl00dy heavy for me to handle lol. yesterdays doe was 74lb dressed out.

given up with the Roe at the moment. i have been out to many times and found nothing, i have even been out at night looking to try and work out what their up to but not seeing them. Im thinking that one other reason is that there is no crop on the lands i shoot as its been to wet so the Roe are in the woods.

I have just started to get the fallow back after they cleared off to the hills and woods. I hate Fallow as their to bl00dy heavy for me to handle lol. yesterdays doe was 74lb dressed out.

Thats a big doe, had one that weighed 60lbs into the butchers last wick and thats big for my patch, hoping all your Roe have moved down to my side of the river. :lol:

Thats a big doe, had one that weighed 60lbs into the butchers last wick and thats big for my patch, hoping all your Roe have moved down to my side of the river. :lol:

im still knackered now lol and it was one of the smaller ones. good layers of fat on it.

it was bristol side of Gloucester :good:

the worse thing was it was lung shot, omg didn't it run, on last knockings as well. straight into a wood that was over grown with briars. never had one run like that before. an hour later i found it, 300 meters away in the stupidest place it could be and where i couldn't get to so i had to drag it out. that took an age to do. then went to car to get the fishing trolly only to find i had a flat tire on it. i bounced my way across the fields in the car in the end. gralloch by head torch. longest pee around i have done. 3.5hrs in the end from pull of trigger to larder. stupid deer, stupid gun, stupid wet fields, stupid me :ninja:. :/

im stalking rabbits from now on. :lol:

P1020346_zps7e45f5e3.jpg

not the best photo i have ever taken but it was more for the records.

Tell me about it, tests your stamina doesnt it, my patch is in the wye valley, 45% gradient and as rocky as hell. Only access is at the top and then I have to walk ten minutes to get onto my patch from nearest drive in place. There is a strip of grassland between woodland and river but can't get access, deer are always in the woodland at the bottom. The last two I had took 3 hours to get out, wish we had some Roe though, much easier to deal with. Its crazy, not that many around me but cross the river over toward Bristol and I've heard they are like rabbits.

There is a picture of the last pair in this section titled 'good morning on the fallow'.

Have you seen many bucks about, fallow that is, there seems to be a big lacking in the mature fellas this year. I have stopped shooting prickets now in the hope that a few get the chance to come on.

What rifle you using on the fallow, I only ever use the 308 with 150gr now as, in the unfortunate situation when they do take off there is a very good blood trail.( and they don't normally go far even with a lung shot)

Edited by Redgum

The thing is it has been that wet over the last 12 months if you were a deer what would you do i would keep moving looking for something better and maybe end up in cheshire loads of woods and no deer and maybe more than our fair share of travellers / lampers

Tell me about it, tests your stamina doesnt it, my patch is in the wye valley, 45% gradient and as rocky as hell. Only access is at the top and then I have to walk ten minutes to get onto my patch from nearest drive in place. There is a strip of grassland between woodland and river but can't get access, deer are always in the woodland at the bottom. The last two I had took 3 hours to get out, wish we had some Roe though, much easier to deal with. Its crazy, not that many around me but cross the river over toward Bristol and I've heard they are like rabbits.

There is a picture of the last pair in this section titled 'good morning on the fallow'.

Have you seen many bucks about, fallow that is, there seems to be a big lacking in the mature fellas this year. I have stopped shooting prickets now in the hope that a few get the chance to come on.

What rifle you using on the fallow, I only ever use the 308 with 150gr now as, in the unfortunate situation when they do take off there is a very good blood trail.( and they don't normally go far even with a lung shot)

I have munty and fallow on the bristol patch. big areas with one main herd of doe's and prickets. a few of the prickets have been culled. there is a few 'good' bucks around but not touching them. there is one white one that does need to go. on the gloucester areas im struggling to find tracks even, let alone a roe. i have just started to see a few in other areas so they might start showing up soon.

6.5x55 with 160gr sierra sp at the moment. i have 150 left and then i have to find more 160's as sierra no longer make them.

it was a tiny single blood spot that gave it away in the end and then as i got closer it was like a murder scene. thats what all the blood on the side it from. no blood in chest so a clean gralloch, but a knackered old ****.