.17hmr grouping

jimmyb79

Mate I was the same when I changed from .22 to .17 hmr. You got to remember your zeroing a .22 at half the range with a bullet that's twice the weight or more, so it's more consistent. You'll always get a flyer now & again with factory loads. If mines is clean I usually put a couple through it first ,get a bit o **** in the barrel, don't ask me why but it seems to zero better

I shot it standing up off a bipod rested on the bonnet of my 4x4. I had the stock supported as well. If that was freehand I'd be very pleased!

Unless the gun is bolted down to a very strong bench and you've got a "hair" trigger you won't get a true group of the rifle.

If the barrel moves 10 thou at the muzzle just think how far out the bullet is at 100 yards! I'm sure the mathematicians on here could work it out!

I don't know about you but even on a bipod and stock support the picture in the scope seems to have a life all of it's own. :lol:

Like most shooting take the human factor out of it and aren't all guns are inherently accurate ?

Unless the gun is bolted down to a very strong bench and you've got a "hair" trigger you won't get a true group of the rifle.

If the barrel moves 10 thou at the muzzle just think how far out the bullet is at 100 yards! I'm sure the mathematicians on here could work it out!

I don't know about you but even on a bipod and stock support the picture in the scope seems to have a life all of it's own. :lol:

Like most shooting take the human factor out of it and aren't all guns are inherently accurate ?

By my reckoning 1 thou at the muzzle is just over 3.5 inches at 100 yds. Puts your groups in perpsective and shows how good modern firearms and ammunition are. If you can shoot under the inch at 100 yds with anything, you ain't doing so badly.

By my reckoning 1 thou at the muzzle is just over 3.5 inches at 100 yds. Puts your groups in perpsective and shows how good modern firearms and ammunition are. If you can shoot under the inch at 100 yds with anything, you ain't doing so badly.

How did you work that out? I would be very interested. Just think these 4/5/600 hundred yard shots, how far out 10 thou would be.

How did you work that out? I would be very interested. Just think these 4/5/600 hundred yard shots, how far out 10 thou would be.

Every thou off true at the muzzle becomes 2 thou two inches form the muzzle, 3 thou at three inches and so on. 3600 inches (100 yds) divided by 1000 is 3.6 inches.

As I say that's just my reckoning and I'm no mathematician. My trigonometry of equating 1 thou of deviation to 1 inch of distance may be wrong. If so I concede the error with apologies and await the true figure with interest.