.17hmr grouping

jimmyb79

Hi all, I've just got my first .17hmr having been shooting a .22lr for 6 months. I'm just after your opinions on what it should be able to achieve accuracy-wise as I have nothing to compare it to. Attached is a photo of a 5 shot group I did after zeroing it today at 100yds with a very light breeze and rain.

I'm fairly happy with it as there's a four shot grouping of 3/4 inch. Not sure what happened with the fifth though. Is that pretty average for an hmr or should I be able to get better?

I'm shooting blue-tip v-max 17grain which I got with the gun...not sure how old they are though and I don't know how well they keep. I've got a SAK mod on it at the moment but am getting a DM80 for it.

post-18439-0-76995600-1358010832_thumb.jpg

Nothing wrong with the group but have you tried other ammo? You might surprise yourself how tight you can get them, and is the rifle new? Some like to be shot in.

Nothing shabby about your shooting but its well worth playing about with ammo to get the very best out of your rifle.

Nah. I bet theres a couple of flyers under that 5p eh dekers

There will be shots all over the paper, they are my zeroing targets, can't find the whole sheet picture of that one, but that is a 4 shot group, here is the target I make/use, A4 size, and how they tend to look after a few shots! :good:

post-20848-0-82966700-1358025609_thumb.jpg