A game of two halves...

Tug

Today's ferreting trip saw a last minute change of venue. I was out with Rich (TheGingerItalian) and we were supposed to be doing a plantation of Christmas trees for his old man but we were asked to go and visit a small horse paddock and garden for a friend of a friend.

The land is divided into a number of small paddocks, and there are signs of rabbit activity in most of them. Some of the more attractive looking parts were untouchable due to the obvious presence of active badger workings so we concentrated on the parts we could do.

I say that today was a game of two halves for two very good reasons; (1) our approach, (2) the result.

The biggest bugbear for the landowner was her top field which she has had to stop using for horse turnout due to the holes in the middle of the field. There were a lot of indications that this land was active with rabbits, but before we even started we were pretty clear that the rabbits would be weathering the winter in a neighbouring wood/copse as it would be drier and warmer. The landowner was adamant that this field was "full of rabbits" so we obliged and worked a number of small warrens, more for appearance sake than anything else. The morning session was a total blank, but enquiries are being made about the copse so we can tackle that.

890F7F5F-6B0E-4709-9B05-6A16EBE0045D-26149-00001A051B7AB905.jpg

We stopped for a bit of snap before heading up to a hawthorn and bramble hedge that divided two of the smaller paddocks closer to the house. The hedge itself was about 70 yards long so we ran out three of the long nets to completely surround it, with a stop net across to divide it up into smaller sectors.

04B4EA39-1B3F-4087-AF27-13D59CCB77DE-26149-00001A05270E8580.jpg

We dropped one of my big sandy hobs in, mainly because Rich's jills were pooped from a morning of warren-storming but also because it's easier to see the lighter ferrets in the base of a hedgerow. Within about 2 minutes of popping Ben down we had a rabbit rattling down the hedgerow before it decided to break for the open field on my side, fifteen seconds later it was receiving the good new from my "calibrated knockometer". Whilst I was freeing it from the net I heard the tell tale "whump" of a hickory hammer stale connecting with a fluffy bunny from the other side of the hedge and we hung up a rabbit each on the fence at the same time. Another rabbit rattled down the hedge but dropped into the other end of the warren, obviously time for reinforcements and hob 2 went in after it. Hob number 1 had been static for a while, so knowing how my boys work we had a quick 2 foot dig down a stop ended rabbit that soon joined it's bury mates hocked and hung up. Rabbit number 4 came out to the net just as two mugs of tea arrived courtesy of the owner, it's a good job she isn't squeamish as I was knocking that on the head as she came round the stables.

The ferrets didn't seem to want to stay down any more so after supping our brews and having a bit of a natter we decided to push a hob under the pile of haylage bales and pallets that we'd also surrounded with the nets. Two rabbits bolted out and set off down the hedge, one dipping out and getting caught in the stop net on my side and the other running the full length of the hedge for RIch.

With the light fading we decided to pull the nets and call it a day, Rich had plans for some roost shooting and we didn't think there was any point in starting another set.

From a total blank in the morning, to a nice bag of six from a single set of the long nets. We'll be going back to do some of the other hedges as soon as we can.

FDB608A6-C9BF-4070-ACE2-6F0903F9D8D1-26149-00001A0542E7B512.jpg

Cheers Mart!

I'll make my usual comments about me doing the hard work rather than dicking about with a camera, I'm sure Rich will post some of the many pics he took though... :D

We doing local again soon? Off all next week if you fancy it, drop me a PM or text.

Edited by Tug

A few more pics from Rich:

Me setting out purse nets in the morning

21A53B9B-18AB-4D31-9DD6-BD798885F8E8-26672-00001A81C38DFCDC.jpg

Working one of the open warrens

FC10EEE8-3151-41F8-B617-AB5B60E6D5B0-26672-00001A846E31CDCA.jpg

Rich's number 1 worker

7B8E7AB3-5879-4A06-A641-8FEBB5D2D453-26672-00001A84D942D562.jpg

Long nets from the other side, looking towards the haylage bales that were harbouring the last two

DC40D511-650D-4B4E-99AA-63CDC5620E20-26672-00001A84386251A8.jpg

Rabbit in the long net

3B59D3E9-D8F3-4A31-9FFE-99BBFAE5F189-26672-00001A81A2190979.jpg