Ferreting

Ferretboy111

Went ferreting today,

We started off using purse nets with the ferrets, then as the day drew on we thought sod it and just shot over the holes. We bolted around 15 rabbits, ferrets killed 2/3 underground which werent retreived as they didnt stay with them, missed loads of the bolting rabbits, well my friend mainly. Tried out two of my jills i bred this year, lily took to it well and melody started slowly but killed a rabbit at a stop end easily, have to try my 2 hobs next outing.

We managed 6 rabbits in total, and i shot 2 grey squirrels afterwards too.

Went out more for fun than to cull and protect fields, and fun it certainly was!!! :)

Besides i dont have any more room in my chest freezer for anymore than 5 which the ferrets will eat in 1 to 2 days. :)

Sounds a fun day out alright sir, well done Alex. :)

I have been doing the same thing of late, when the ferrets have killed, they move on, so i dont bother digging. But, if i dug at the spot they were at longest and even if they move off, would i not be able to retreive the bunny, or bunnys.?

Frank.

Leaving dead rabbits underground, can make rabbits move out of an earth.

Sometimes if a ferret doesn't show for awhile and then comes out with some fur in her claws and some blood on her face, she probably hasn't killed.

Just had a good scratch at the rabbit and a nibble.

If ferrets really get into a rabbit and kill it, its very difficult to get them to leave it.

I use to always have a polecat hob (not the same one), that I would send down with a collar on.

They would always kill a boxed in rabbit and stay with it, or if the jill had killed, they would stay with her kill (often after chasing her off).

Then we dig down and get the polecat and the rabbit.

Shooting bolted rabbits with ferrets underground, can often cause lay ups (in my opinion).

The above ground disturbance makes them shy of bolting.

Its good to read that so many people are working ferrets this year. :good:

Yes...we've been our CORUS permission a couple of times...and we've had some bumper bags already..Funny because we have ammased load of new permissions....just don't know how we'er going to get around them all....................................roll on those hard frosts......I can smell the crisp the air already

I usually find that if they have fur on their claws they never have blood on them, as the rear of a rabbit doesnt feel any pain or shed blood because of the nerve endings etc. I can tell when they have killed one as they usually kill it and come back up to surface with blood all under their chin and ears etc, thats when they have killed something. I feed mine small amounts before we go off ferreting and they have food in the boxes so they never stay with a dead rabbit, they always get bored of it after they have killed it.

Alex